#1 Al Buterol

Al Buterol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:21 PM

Can someone help me here?

We're keeping ALL of our Narcs in the Fridge. I've never (as a ground medic) kept any of the Narc's anyplace other than the bag or on my person.

We also keep all of our RSI meds refrigerated as well as outdating them in 14 days. I've always had the impression that the reason we outdated prior to the printed expiration date was that is wasn't kept in the fridge. But following both makes no sense to me.

I've searched and found many powerpoints, but no definitive answers.

Thanks everyone.

#2 Rescue7RN

Rescue7RN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:20 PM

We're keeping ALL of our Narcs in the Fridge. I've never (as a ground medic) kept any of the Narc's anyplace other than the bag or on my person.

We also keep all of our RSI meds refrigerated as well as outdating them in 14 days. I've always had the impression that the reason we outdated prior to the printed expiration date was that is wasn't kept in the fridge. But following both makes no sense to me.

Thanks everyone.

I believe succ's needs to be refrigerated due the half life degrading in heat. The reason you outdate it in 14 days is because you don't keep it in the fridge. Seems kinda counterproductive to do both. Also Ativan gets refrigerated, not sure the exact reason on that one. We kept it at room temp in the ICU but we also went through it very quickly. I think your policy needs to pick one or the other. If your base is intubating patients daily or more than once a day, I think just outdating it would be fine, as you are going through it quickly. If your like everyone else I know and doing it less frequent that save money and put it in the fridge.

When we are on a flight we keep it in the blood cooler.

Tim

#3 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:14 AM

Thanks everyone.

You should not be storing your narcotics in a refrigerator. I don't know what you carry, but Morphine, Fentanyl, Diluadid, Darvocet, Stadol (these are the one we use the most in the ED and aircraft) and they are not refrigerated.

The most common recommended temperature range is around 77° F, which is close to room temperature. You can store them at lower temps for a certain time period, but I don't know the time frame.

When in doubt, if the medication needs to be refrigerated it will say, Keep Refrigerated.

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center