3 replies to this topic

#1 medicerik

medicerik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:04 AM

How many people have protocols for plavix administration to ACS patients going for cath? If so, just for STEMI or NSTEMI as well?
Erik Glassman, BS, CCEMT-P, FP-C, EMT-T

#2 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:41 AM

STEMI with on set of <12hrs we give 600mg PO and reduce the dose to 300mg if the patient takes Plavix.

As for Non-STEMI, I haven't taken one to the Cath lab. (not that it doesn't happen) They usually are admitted to the CC unit for treatment (Nipride, B-blockers, anticoagulants etc...) for those pt's we might use Enoxaparin or Integrilin and Plavix. It depends on what Cardiology is planning for their treatment plan; CABG/PCI

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center

#3 medicerik

medicerik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

STEMI with on set of <12hrs we give 600mg PO and reduce the dose to 300mg if the patient takes Plavix.

As for Non-STEMI, I haven't taken one to the Cath lab. (not that it doesn't happen) They usually are admitted to the CC unit for treatment (Nipride, B-blockers, anticoagulants etc...) for those pt's we might use Enoxaparin or Integrilin and Plavix. It depends on what Cardiology is planning for their treatment plan; CABG/PCI

We occasionally get an NSTEMI out of one of our local ED's that is being transferred directly to the lab. Fortunately, the overwhelming majority are STEMIs.
Erik Glassman, BS, CCEMT-P, FP-C, EMT-T

#4 pureadrenalin

pureadrenalin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:09 AM

We carried 5000iu of Heparin at my old service. Pretty awesome!