#1 Mike MacKinnon

Mike MacKinnon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:59 AM

Hey everyone ;)

I know it has been awhile since i have posted a case, things have been extraordinarily busy. Besides an extremely busy independent anesthesia practice, ive gotten myself wrangled into a number of other projects. Here is a snippet to give you an idea:

A few other anesthesia people and I are creating out own airway course with cadavers and the whole deal for anesthesia and EMS.

In development of a massive iphone anesthesia app and will be traveling to india with the rest of the team to finalize the thing

Gotten involved with anesthesia politics (i cant help but get sucked in).

Teaching often ;)

I do love teaching and all of you here on flightweb have been awesome the MANY years I have been here! I learned from many here and then paid it forward and now it is time for someone else still flying to take the reigns of the case studies and step it up to the next level.

So we are looking for someone to take over this section. If you are interested please post. Case studies require alot of input, research and time to do them right and give rational otherwise they just become war stories. With a job where i work 5 days a week plus a weekend a month on call (and everything else) I do not have the time to do it right. If yah cant do it right.. dont do it at all. So while i still plan to lurk we need someone to step up to the case studies!

Having said all of that, if anyone needs anything, you are always welcomed to email/pm me at anytime. My info is all here.

Safe flying!
Mike MacKinnon MSN CRNA
WWW.NURSE-ANESTHESIA.ORG

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know
It's what we know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

#2 Sue

Sue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

Hey everyone ;)

I know it has been awhile since i have posted a case, things have been extraordinarily busy. Besides an extremely busy independent anesthesia practice, ive gotten myself wrangled into a number of other projects. Here is a snippet to give you an idea:

A few other anesthesia people and I are creating out own airway course with cadavers and the whole deal for anesthesia and EMS.

In development of a massive iphone anesthesia app and will be traveling to india with the rest of the team to finalize the thing

Gotten involved with anesthesia politics (i cant help but get sucked in).

Teaching often ;)

I do love teaching and all of you here on flightweb have been awesome the MANY years I have been here! I learned from many here and then paid it forward and now it is time for someone else still flying to take the reigns of the case studies and step it up to the next level.

So we are looking for someone to take over this section. If you are interested please post. Case studies require alot of input, research and time to do them right and give rational otherwise they just become war stories. With a job where i work 5 days a week plus a weekend a month on call (and everything else) I do not have the time to do it right. If yah cant do it right.. dont do it at all. So while i still plan to lurk we need someone to step up to the case studies!

Having said all of that, if anyone needs anything, you are always welcomed to email/pm me at anytime. My info is all here.

Safe flying!

Mike,

Thank you for the time and effort you have put into these case studies, let alone the many other projects you have been involved with. It would be great to see your Airway class on the road someday.
Here is to wishing you much success.

Sue T.

Sue Toberman, RN

#3 fire_911medic

fire_911medic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

Shame to see you go Mike - you've been extremely helpful to me and I'm sure many others. Thanks for all the cases even if I was frequently ran over by the zebras I learned. Looking forward to see who takes the reins next and best of luck in your endeavors - we'll look for you on the road !
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always want to be. ~~~Leonardo DaVinci

#4 BackcountryMedic

BackcountryMedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:37 PM

Like most people here I was pulled into the flightweb world by the case studies. They were/are really great studies in critical thinking. Your facilitation skills and knowledge are exceptional. The studies have done a so much for my professional growth. I can't thank you enough.

Good luck in all your endeavors. Don't forget to take care of #1 (yourself).
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - Patton

#5 STPEMTP

STPEMTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

Mike,

Thank you for the cases and all the effort you put into them. Good luck with airway course you are setting up. Please let us know where to find it when you are ready to roll it out.

P.s. Ditto on Backcountry's post

#6 Medic09

Medic09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

+1 on all the previous comments. We're gonna miss your stuff, MIke!

So, who do we get to do this?

Mordechai Y. Scher
NRP, FP-C, RN

It's all about kind, competent patient care; and getting home safely to tell about it.

#7 medic4cqb

medic4cqb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

Mike,

You have left some mighty big shoes to fill... Shaq size shoes at that! Regardless of that, I wish you the best of luck in the future. You've proven to be a great asset and friend, and to all of a great teacher. Thank you so much for all the time you've given to bettering the minds of so many, including myself. I look forward to seeing you on the road, buddy.

Steve A., RN, CCRN, EMT-P

"The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness..."
- Bruce Lee

#8 RoadieRN

RoadieRN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

The end of an era. Add another one to the list who agrees with the above comments. Thanks for all you've done for the FlightWeb community.
Nick Crusius RN, BSN

Keep the rubber(or skid, if it applies) side down!

#9 Speed

Speed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

http://www.playlist....ditem/232810769
Mike Williams CCEMT-P/FP-C

#10 medic4cqb

medic4cqb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:48 PM

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/additem/232810769

Mike,

That was awesome... :lol:

Steve A., RN, CCRN, EMT-P

"The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness..."
- Bruce Lee

#11 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

yo speed, why don't you start the same ole thing again and post the 1st case?

http://www.playlist....ditem/232810769

LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Sean G. Smith, RN-Alphabet Soup

#12 Speed

Speed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

Man, I am definitely NOT the guy for that job. I do not have the patience or self-control not to go off on someone like Florida Medic and I would let things get real dumb. I don't have the commitment either. It needs to be someone who's got the time to research the cases and responses (not me). I couldn't do it justice; I promise you it would start to smell a little funky in the case study room. There's got to be somebody here who can do that, Rollie almost needs to work some kinda deal out with them cause (I hate to go there) it does bring more hits to the site. I feel bad for even saying that, but ya feel me....?
Mike Williams CCEMT-P/FP-C

#13 fire_911medic

fire_911medic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

What about the idea of doing a rotation between a core group of people (say 3 or so) and doing one a month? It wouldn't be as steady, but perhaps if you did it that way, it wouldn't be too much burden on any one person. Each person take a case study and then rotate between so one person isn't doing all of them, but only one every 3-4 months. Granted might not have the traffic we did before, but would get things going again. I really enjoyed the case studies and learned a good bit from them. Would love to see them going again, but I'm definitely not the person to do so - not anywhere near enough experience, but it's definitely fun to play and learn.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always want to be. ~~~Leonardo DaVinci

#14 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

this was more what i had in mind....may even collaborate with some of y'all on a case or three... i'm reviewing all of mike's cases now...no hope of ever replacing him, but just seeing if i feel capable of pulling off even a pale imitation from time to time.... ;-) Cheers! Sean

What about the idea of doing a rotation between a core group of people (say 3 or so) and doing one a month? It wouldn't be as steady, but perhaps if you did it that way, it wouldn't be too much burden on any one person. Each person take a case study and then rotate between so one person isn't doing all of them, but only one every 3-4 months. Granted might not have the traffic we did before, but would get things going again. I really enjoyed the case studies and learned a good bit from them. Would love to see them going again, but I'm definitely not the person to do so - not anywhere near enough experience, but it's definitely fun to play and learn.

LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Sean G. Smith, RN-Alphabet Soup

#15 EDMEDIC

EDMEDIC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:10 PM

You'ce done a great job over the years Mike. The cases were very informative and really made us do some critical thinking. Good luck /c your new endeavors. If you put into them what you've put into these cases, they're gonna be top notch!

Brian Dressler EMT-P
Brian EMT-P/CC
"failing to prepare is preparing to fail"
" you don't know what you don't know"

#16 MSDeltaFlt

MSDeltaFlt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

It's the end of an era. Hat's off to you, Mike. May you have blue skies and a tail wind. Skids up.
Mike Hester, RRT/NRP/FP-C
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear -- Mark Twain

#17 Shady2005

Shady2005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:19 AM

Man, been off the flightweb for a while and come back to this?!? Mike, good for you! Thanks for all of your help and guidance through these case studies. Looking forward to your future endeavors!