16 replies to this topic

#1 Medic09

Medic09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:14 PM

Hey all. Posting in general discussion to get a wide exposure and range of answers.

Is anyone using a Blackberry? Pros and cons? What medical software can you use with it? Do you find it relatively easy to use for work? My main interest is a good phone and a good PDA for work in the aircraft and hospital, with a good battery life.

Thanks in advance!

Mordechai Y. Scher
NRP, FP-C, RN

It's all about kind, competent patient care; and getting home safely to tell about it.

#2 Sundown

Sundown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

I have a BB and absolutely love it, however, I haven't really found much in the way of medical apps. I carry my iPod Touch with me that's loaded with medical stuff. If AT&T had decent coverage, then I would switch from Verizon just to get an iPhone. If you're looking to use it for medical work, then there's better options. The iPhone / iPod Touch is the best option out there, IMO, for medical apps. Any Palm and Windows Mobile based phones have more medical apps than BlackBerry. BlackBerry's are great phones, just not the best if you're going to use it for medical stuff.

Hey all. Posting in general discussion to get a wide exposure and range of answers.

Is anyone using a Blackberry? Pros and cons? What medical software can you use with it? Do you find it relatively easy to use for work? My main interest is a good phone and a good PDA for work in the aircraft and hospital, with a good battery life.

Thanks in advance!

#3 kdavis308

kdavis308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:47 PM

The iPhone is by far more functional than the Black Berry. But as stated AT&T service is terrible. You can always buy and iPhone from Europe that has been jail broke and put it on Verizon or if tmobile provides good coverage then buy a jail broke US iPhone and put it on tmobile.

#4 Sundown

Sundown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

The iPhone is by far more functional than the Black Berry. But as stated AT&T service is terrible. You can always buy and iPhone from Europe that has been jail broke and put it on Verizon or if tmobile provides good coverage then buy a jail broke US iPhone and put it on tmobile.

T-Mobile yes. Verizon no. No iPhone will work on Verizon, regardless of where it came from, jailbroken or not. It's just a matter of technology. The iPhone uses GSM, which AT&T, T-Mobile, and (I think) Sprint uses. Verizon uses CDMA, which is patented by QualComm. That's the big hold up on Apple making a Verizon version of the iPhone is the patent fees. Any cell phone manufacturer that makes a CDMA phone has to pay a "royalty" fee to QualComm. Apple has shown more that once that they're not too big on paying anybody any kind of fees.

Personally, I'm a huge Apple fan, and would love to have an iPhone on Verizon. BUT .... The new android based phones may be the way to go in the long run because of the open source OS. It's still too early to see what's going to be developed for the androids, as far as medical apps are concerned though.

#5 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:29 PM

Sundown is right - do not let anyone sell you an iPhone that is "jailbroken" or "unlocked" for Verizon - they are lying.

I had an iPhone for a few months and it was an AWESOME device. I ended up getting rid of it because AT&T's network just isn't reliable for someone who frequently travels to rural areas. Their 3G network is simply non-existent outside of cities, and no matter how cool your smartphone is, its pretty much worthless if you don't have a reliable connection. Now I'm back with Verizon and not only is their network far better, but their selection of smartphones is really improving, too.

I also had one of the new Verizon Android devices for a few weeks. It was really cool, too - as was stated I think the Android OS will rapidly improve and expand and it might not be long before it truly rivals the iPhone in terms of functionality and the number of apps available. The HTC Droid Eris is easily the closest thing you can get to an iPhone on Verizon. Ultimately I decided to return the phone and go back to my other one, because as cool as the Droid was, I didn't think it was good enough to spend my once-every-two-year credit on, since I already had a good smartphone.

The new Blackberries are really good devices, too. The Tour, Bold, and the Curve 8530 seem to be vastly improved over the earlier devices, which had a tendency to lock up and generally be unreliable.

I know very little about the newer Palm devices, but I've heard the Pre is great and that Verizon is about to get either the Pre or something really similar.

For a while now I've been using an HTC Ozone, which uses Windows Mobile 6.1. I was very skeptical of using a Windows OS, but the phone has been really solid. I am happy with it and will keep it until Verizon gets the iPhone (there are lots of rumors that it will happen late in 2010), or until a Verizon BlackBerry or Palm or Android device comes along that really blows me away.

Now as far as apps....it is definitely true that there are far more apps for the iPhone than any other smartphone - both medical apps and lots of other cool stuff, too. Now that said, many of the 100,000 apps for the iPhone are silly or redundant, AND there is a fair amount of stuff available for every other type of phone, too. Android and Blackberry both have relatively small but rapidly growing app stores, and if all you want are some IV calculators and a general clinical reference or two and the ability to load your protocols in .pdf format, these devices will work fine for you.

So, if you are a Verizon guy but love the iPhone, either wait a while and see what happens as far as Verizon getting it, or just get an iPod Touch and carry it along with your regular cell phone. But unless you are addicted to Apple or just need to have access to tens of thousands of apps (I think you can only have like 100 or so on your iPhone anyway), a BlackBerry Curve or Tour will probably work great for you, as will an Android or Palm or Windows Mobile device.
bring it in for the real thing

#6 LearRRT-CCEMTP

LearRRT-CCEMTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:40 AM

It depends on what you want the phone for. I had the BB Curve and changed to the Storm. If you want a phone to do powerpoint, word, or excell docs on and other work type functions then the blackberry is great. I do admit at first I liked the curve a heck of a lot better than the storm but I have since gotten use to it and find it is a great phone. The other advantage to the storm is that a Verizon BB Storm will work in 168 countries therefore if you do international CCT's then it's a great phone for that! The original storm the internet was slow but the new Storm II has wifi so if there is a wifi signal around then it's fast as heck otherwise you are on the 3G network which is as fast as any other providers.
David W. Garrard, BHS, RRT, RCP, CCEMTP, PNCCT, CFC
Vice President and Program Director
AeroMD
Dedicated to the Speed of Life!
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, United States Virgin Islands
Toll Free: 1-844-AeroMD-1

#7 Medic09

Medic09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:57 AM

Thanks for the replies so far!

David, we do fly out of country occasionally, plus I'm in Israel once or twice a year, so your insights are valuable.

I would like to use programs similar to the Skyscape Davis Drug Guide and other texts (Taber's , Harrison's, etc.), and Medical Wizards ER Suite. (Tangent: Last night in the middle of work I tried to access ER Suite and my Palm read me the riot act. Said the subscription had expired and I couldn't access it! Other company's programs remain usable, just not updated. This was really annoying. End rant.) I have also thought about just getting an iPod Touch, and keeping a simple phone. Whatever I use, I want to be able to sync it with my Mac.

Another question I just thought of last night at work: how do these manage with gloves on? I've noticed, for instance, that the finger pad on my Mac doesn't respond well for sweeping/scrolling when there's just a band-aid on my finger. How will these touch-face devices work with gloves on my hands in the middle of care? David, have you used you Storm with gloves on?

Mordechai Y. Scher
NRP, FP-C, RN

It's all about kind, competent patient care; and getting home safely to tell about it.

#8 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:18 AM

I have a Sprint Palm 755. Not as cool as a iPhone and smaller screen than my Palm T/X, but for medapps, I can get all Skyscape/Unbound apps to work well, (have several) amd the QWERTY keypad is very easy to use and I can thumb/finger in rough flight without making errors with my finger cutoff gloves, (cold weather). Palm is still basic and reliable.
Richard P. Mitchell, RRT-NPS
Pediatric Respiratory Therapist
Vidant Medical Center, Greenville, NC and
HHS/OS/ASPR/OPEO/NDMS/DMAT-NC1 & MAC-ST

#9 LearRRT-CCEMTP

LearRRT-CCEMTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the replies so far!

David, we do fly out of country occasionally, plus I'm in Israel once or twice a year, so your insights are valuable.

I would like to use programs similar to the Skyscape Davis Drug Guide and other texts (Taber's , Harrison's, etc.), and Medical Wizards ER Suite. (Tangent: Last night in the middle of work I tried to access ER Suite and my Palm read me the riot act. Said the subscription had expired and I couldn't access it! Other company's programs remain usable, just not updated. This was really annoying. End rant.) I have also thought about just getting an iPod Touch, and keeping a simple phone. Whatever I use, I want to be able to sync it with my Mac.

Another question I just thought of last night at work: how do these manage with gloves on? I've noticed, for instance, that the finger pad on my Mac doesn't respond well for sweeping/scrolling when there's just a band-aid on my finger. How will these touch-face devices work with gloves on my hands in the middle of care? David, have you used you Storm with gloves on?

I run a lot of medical apps and the blackberry is great for that! I have found that the storm does not respond well to gloves. That is one reason I initially liked the Curve better. But I hate gloves so I take them on and off constantly as it is so it's not that big of a deal for me. (I wear them only when doing procedures or or touching the patient). I have a hang up about touching everything in the aircraft with gloves on. Anyway, I have been told if you want a phone PRIMARY for music, videos, entertainment then the iPhone is better. If you want a phone for work related stuff then go with the Blackberry. Have you looked at the new BB Tour? It has many of the features of the storm but had a keyboard instead of a touch screen? It is a marriage of the curve and the storm but I do not believe it have wifi. Overall I like my Storm and I bought my 18 yo daughter one as well and she loves it for school. She will sit in class and write papers and do projects on MS Word, Powerpoint, or Excel. But of course teenagers know a heck of a lot more about technology!
AeroMD

#10 RW_daddy23

RW_daddy23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

I have a BB curve and the wife has an iPhone. The iPhone is much more user friendly due to the amount of apps available. I use apps on my BB and they work great. Programs such as Epocrates for example work on the blackberry with little problems. A bonus for the Blackberry is the new PTT (push-to-talk) capability with some carriers. I have a PTT BB and have had minimal problems.

On my BB Curve I go about 1 - 2 days on a battery charge. I use it quite a bit because its a work phone. My wife charges her iPhone at least once a day if not more, but she uses it alot and the kids play games on it.

Fly safe.
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards....."
Paul "Bear" Bryant

#11 LearRRT-CCEMTP

LearRRT-CCEMTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:47 PM

Good point, I have friends with i-Phones who tell me they have to charge their phones during the day or carry a spare battery. With the curve and now my Storm, I plug it in when I go to bed and unplug it when I get up and I have never had it go dead.
AeroMD

#12 MedicNurse

MedicNurse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:13 AM

I think you have the right idea with the BB and the iPod - that is what I use and I am satisfied with both.

I was a Mac girl - before it was cool (did drop out when they had multicolor bubble computers, but came back and will never leave again!) so I would love an iPhone. Once you go Mac - it is impossible to really go back. :D But love alone will not make me go to the dark side with ATT. The great communication giant of ATT is just too effed up and will not work in most areas I am in - so I remain with Verizon.

My iPod touch works well, lots of app/games/wi-fi + it is effortless to sync with the Mac, so it is delightfully easy + great battery life - lasts through any shift. BB Curve likewise lasts through most any shift - good at all communications, don't really run any apps - just calls, texts and web. Easy.

Trying to combine both needs - means compromise on both. Sadly, I am not too good at compromising. I just want what I want - nothing wrong with that - right? :P

Fly SAFE!

#13 Medic09

Medic09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:52 AM

MedicNurse, how do you manage the iTouch when you have gloves on?

Mordechai Y. Scher
NRP, FP-C, RN

#14 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:00 AM

I think you have the right idea with the BB and the iPod - that is what I use and I am satisfied with both.

I was a Mac girl - before it was cool (did drop out when they had multicolor bubble computers, but came back and will never leave again!) so I would love an iPhone. Once you go Mac - it is impossible to really go back. :D But love alone will not make me go to the dark side with ATT. The great communication giant of ATT is just too effed up and will not work in most areas I am in - so I remain with Verizon.

My iPod touch works well, lots of app/games/wi-fi + it is effortless to sync with the Mac, so it is delightfully easy + great battery life - lasts through any shift. BB Curve likewise lasts through most any shift - good at all communications, don't really run any apps - just calls, texts and web. Easy.

Trying to combine both needs - means compromise on both. Sadly, I am not too good at compromising. I just want what I want - nothing wrong with that - right? :P

Fly SAFE!

My wife and I are AT&T customers, not by popular choice (we get a discount through the hospital) and we've heard the same comment a lot lately with AT&T coverage vs Verizon. I'm starting to wonder if it would be beneficial to change to Verizon, even though neither one of us has an iPhone...........yet.

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center

#15 Gila

Gila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:42 AM

MedicNurse, how do you manage the iTouch when you have gloves on?

I had no problems utilising an iPod touch 1st generation wearing a single pair of nitrile gloves. I have no problems utilising my iPhone 3GS wearing a single pari of nitrile gloves.
Christopher Bare
"Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo "

#16 Medic09

Medic09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

Dave and Chris, how do you find cleaning the Touch and Storm? How about software? What programs are you using? Are there programs that you wanted but couldn't use?

Thanks!

Mordechai Y. Scher
NRP, FP-C, RN

#17 Gila

Gila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:33 PM

Dave and Chris, how do you find cleaning the Touch and Storm? How about software? What programs are you using? Are there programs that you wanted but couldn't use?

Thanks!

No problems cleaning; however, I use a case and screen protector. The range of cases and customizability is incredible.

Regarding apps. Apple has this one nailed. The app store is an incredible experience, and going there is like having a birthday party and opening gifts. It really is a great experience with every kind of app.

I see a few people mention going Verizon. Just remember, the iPhone is GSM based and will not run on this network even if you jailbreak.

The Google OS phones are an option; however, I suggest holding out and waiting to see if they make a solid app store.
Christopher Bare
"Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo "