"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - Patton

#2 elrsmom

elrsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

MSNBC would not consider me an advocate for air transport, so perhaps they will listen. Probably not. This article was disgusting. An uninsured person awakening after six weeks in a hospital complains about an $8,000 ride that saved her life. A person considers $8700 too much to pay for a saved life. I guess Congress should demand companies ask for proof of insurance and leave those uninsured victims beside the road? It angers me that those calls you make and risk your lives for are used as fodder for MSNBC's health care platform. Reform starts first with medicare/medicade fraud and tort reform!

#3 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:12 AM

When you owe $500,000 after 6 weeks in ICU and (presumably) major surgeries, how does the $8000 transport bill even make your radar screen? I mean that's an astonishingly small part of the entire bill to take notice of, especially considering what a pivotal role transport plays. Why aren't they complaining about the thousand dollars they got charged every time some resident "consultant" came to look at their chart only to say "yep, keep 'em on the vanco for another couple days". This probably totaled 100 grand by itself. And of course we won't even consider the fact that all this mean, expensive medical technology actually saved her life.

MSNBC really dropped the ball with this story by selecting cases where the patients were really sick and may have really benefited from HEMS. The writers actually could have made a pretty convincing argument if they had only showcased some of the many patients who are flown even though they clearly don't need it and are THEN stuck with a big bill for a completely unnecessary service that they didn't ask for and wasn't indicated. Now THOSE people, I feel sorry for....but I have little pity for someone who uses and benefits from a valuable service and then thinks they are getting shafted just because they are expected to pay for that service. Taxis aren't free. Either are lawyers or mechanics or landscapers or waitresses or plumbers or accountants. Why should paramedics and nurses and doctors be?

Obviously they are trying to frame this issue as part of the larger debate about health care reform....as just one more example of why we need socialized medicine. "If the government were in charge, this type of thing wouldn't happen" is their angle. Given what medicare/medicaid and social security look like, I honestly can't understand how anyone in their right mind can think it makes any sense at all to give the feds more control over the healthcare industry.

Just give the government more power and more tax dollars....then they will be able to fix all your problems for you, and life will be so much fairer for everybody!
bring it in for the real thing

#4 flynrn

flynrn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

You make a great point. People also are willing to pay a mechanic to repair their car in an accident whatever the insurance doesn't cover, BUT they complain about a bill that SAVED THEIR LIFE!! Where have our priorities gone? We value material things more than our own health and LIFE> People, geez!

When you owe $500,000 after 6 weeks in ICU and (presumably) major surgeries, how does the $8000 transport bill even make your radar screen? I mean that's an astonishingly small part of the entire bill to take notice of, especially considering what a pivotal role transport plays. Why aren't they complaining about the thousand dollars they got charged every time some resident "consultant" came to look at their chart only to say "yep, keep 'em on the vanco for another couple days". This probably totaled 100 grand by itself. And of course we won't even consider the fact that all this mean, expensive medical technology actually saved her life.

MSNBC really dropped the ball with this story by selecting cases where the patients were really sick and may have really benefited from HEMS. The writers actually could have made a pretty convincing argument if they had only showcased some of the many patients who are flown even though they clearly don't need it and are THEN stuck with a big bill for a completely unnecessary service that they didn't ask for and wasn't indicated. Now THOSE people, I feel sorry for....but I have little pity for someone who uses and benefits from a valuable service and then thinks they are getting shafted just because they are expected to pay for that service. Taxis aren't free. Either are lawyers or mechanics or landscapers or waitresses or plumbers or accountants. Why should paramedics and nurses and doctors be?

Obviously they are trying to frame this issue as part of the larger debate about health care reform....as just one more example of why we need socialized medicine. "If the government were in charge, this type of thing wouldn't happen" is their angle. Given what medicare/medicaid and social security look like, I honestly can't understand how anyone in their right mind can think it makes any sense at all to give the feds more control over the healthcare industry.

Just give the government more power and more tax dollars....then they will be able to fix all your problems for you, and life will be so much fairer for everybody!

Cindy Covington, RN BSN

#5 BrianACNP

BrianACNP

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

You make a great point. People also are willing to pay a mechanic to repair their car in an accident whatever the insurance doesn't cover, BUT they complain about a bill that SAVED THEIR LIFE!! Where have our priorities gone? We value material things more than our own health and LIFE> People, geez!

UUmmmm....do you know for a fact that the flight SAVED THEIR LIFE? For every one flight where a difference MAY have been made, there are plenty of others that are more inappropriate with these steep costs. This is a more complex problem than just to say that the patient and family should just be thankful. There is a bigger picture to look at....something this article failed to do.

Brian
Brian, MSN, ACNP, CCRN

#6 josh.dickson

josh.dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:30 PM

Yes, Brian. Agreed. And 6-8k for an actual, well thought out evidence based HEMS activation seems reasonable. However, $25,000 does not. Like any other part of our world that goes to excess, it will equilibrate. What we have now is not sustainable. 

"Anesthesia: the fine line between agony and apnea."

-Josh Dickson FP-C, CCEMT-P