1 reply to this topic

#1 USAR Medic

USAR Medic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

Hello all,

Our program performs SAR missions at the request of Fire / EMS services in our area for missing persons and or injuries to patients in remote areas. We will not provide SAR for any person that could be considered 'dangerous' however. Such as getting called by law enforcement for a 'person armed that ran away from law enforcement'. My question to any program that performs SAR is this; What is you policy on SAR? How long will you search over a grid? Call anyone call for your services? Do you bill that service to anyone for the jet A? How far out of your service area are you willing to fly to perform a search mission? We are looking at updating our policy and I thought that I would see what other services have in place.

Thanks for you time - Fly safe

#2 hpcfrn

hpcfrn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:22 AM

Hello all,

Our program performs SAR missions at the request of Fire / EMS services in our area for missing persons and or injuries to patients in remote areas. We will not provide SAR for any person that could be considered 'dangerous' however. Such as getting called by law enforcement for a 'person armed that ran away from law enforcement'. My question to any program that performs SAR is this; What is you policy on SAR? How long will you search over a grid? Call anyone call for your services? Do you bill that service to anyone for the jet A? How far out of your service area are you willing to fly to perform a search mission? We are looking at updating our policy and I thought that I would see what other services have in place.

Thanks for you time - Fly safe

Hi USAR,

SAR is a regular part of our mission profile and we have very specific guidelines. Contact me and I will see if I can answer some of your questions...
Howard Polden RN, CFRN, CMTE, NREMT
Flight Nurse
Travis County STAR Flight
Austin, Texas