9 replies to this topic

#1 LearRRT-CCEMTP

LearRRT-CCEMTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:11 AM

I have used EMS Charts in the past. I am curious as to which is the better system, EMS Charts or Golden Hour? Or is there another that is better for air medical CCT's? What are the thoughts from those who have used both or multiple systems? I've also seen a program that had an identical system to EMS Charts designed within SalesForce.com. Have others utilized EMS Charts within Salesforce or was this an isolated custom system?

Thanks!
David W. Garrard, BHS, RRT, RCP, CCEMTP, PNCCT, CFC
Vice President and Program Director
AeroMD
Dedicated to the Speed of Life!
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, United States Virgin Islands
Toll Free: 1-844-AeroMD-1

#2 Gila

Gila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:28 AM

Started out using Golden Hour and currently use EMS charts. While I am not all that keen on using EMS charts, it is an improvement.
Christopher Bare
"Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo "

#3 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:11 AM

Started out using Golden Hour and currently use EMS charts. While I am not all that keen on using EMS charts, it is an improvement.

concur w/ Chris... have not seen the new version of Golden Hour tho.... (and to the best of my knowlege, haven't seen the Sales Force variation of EMS Charts)
LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Sean G. Smith, RN-Alphabet Soup

#4 ST RN/PM

ST RN/PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:50 PM

Hey all....
Currently use both....while both allow for very specific documentation for those cases that are "outside the box", GH allows for an easier read in its finished layout. For example, if you write a long narrative, GH allows you to put it in one place, where EMS Charts, the narrative is split up by chronology. If i had to pick one (i like both), EMS charts is a lot easier to complete.........but GH is better in my opinion for really sick interfacility transports.

Steve

concur w/ Chris... have not seen the new version of Golden Hour tho.... (and to the best of my knowlege, haven't seen the Sales Force variation of EMS Charts)

Steve T. RN, PM

#5 emsrn

emsrn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:28 AM

Might be able to answer this for you in about a month. Currently use EMSCharts, but was just told we are switching to the new version of Golden Hour. The comments here have me nervous, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

E

#6 jkihl

jkihl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:23 AM

I have used EMS Charts in the past. I am curious as to which is the better system, EMS Charts or Golden Hour? Or is there another that is better for air medical CCT's? What are the thoughts from those who have used both or multiple systems? I've also seen a program that had an identical system to EMS Charts designed within SalesForce.com. Have others utilized EMS Charts within Salesforce or was this an isolated custom system?

Thanks!

Our Company is also exploring different systems.though I would put my bets on SalesForce..I would like more information on this hybrid? If anyone has more information on this.would be interested in exploring this..

Thank you..

John KihlRN

#7 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:10 PM

Might be able to answer this for you in about a month. Currently use EMSCharts, but was just told we are switching to the new version of Golden Hour. The comments here have me nervous, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

E

Yes please keep an open mind with GH. We've been using GH for a little over a year now and currently use v1.26.0.
In the beginning it took FOREVER to complete a simple chart, that would've have taken less than 45 minutes on a written chart. (1 1/2 - 2 hrs was the norm)
There were multiple factors for this, but I believe the two main were: typing speed and the clinical format of GH.

I can give my opinion on GH from the clinical and administrative point-of-view (keep in mind that I've never used or seen the other computer charting programs, so there not much to judge by)

Clinical Application:
Pros:
- There is a "tab" for everything (demographics, pt exam, procedures, data information etc...)
- The way it's clinically formated, it keeps every report uniformed.
- With the format, there are a lot of treatment and legal aspects that you may have missed on a paper form (you can't complete the chart until certain boxes or information is entered)
- It can be configured for your type of needs.
- If you need tech support, they are very prompt.
- The information is legible.
- If it's not in a drop-down box or a selection area, you can add it manually.

Cons
- There is a lot of information that you'll need that you probably did not in the past.
- EVERY procedure (IV, Meds given, intubation etc...) requires a start-time AND finish-time.
- VERY lengthly report, depending on what all you enter. 3 pages on the low end and 12 on the high..........
- It takes some time to get used to the format.
- You WILL get frustrated while learning the charting system.
- It's new to everyone, including Comm personnel.

Administrative
You can generate a multitude of reports from a given month, hospital, crew member, base, etc....
Some report examples are:
~ How many times crew member X intubated in the month of _______ <OR> how many adult intubations they had, pediatric intubations etc (this follows suit with any procedure)
~ Non-transports AND the reason why they were missed (monthly, quarterly, semi-annually etc..)
~ How many and what types of transport came from _________ hospital.
~ Average loaded and UN-loaded miles.
~ Charges by base, pt type, receiving/sending facility.
~ Demographics of patients.

These are just some I could think of off the top of my head, but there are more........

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center

#8 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:44 AM

Bump!
please chime in if you haven't already.
please update if you initially answered.
Inquiring minds want to know!

#9 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

Thanks!

Started on Rampart, then EMS charts, now Golden Hour. Prefer EMS charts. GH is great for admin/billing/QA but takes forever and is laid out in a manner that forces redundant charting . A basic ALS chart for a 3 hour pt contact can run 13 pages and take 2-3 hours to do. Plus, no ability to scan in and append documents like signed consents etc - EMS charts has these features.
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#10 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:45 PM

thanks McGyver! anyone else?

Started on Rampart, then EMS charts, now Golden Hour. Prefer EMS charts. GH is great for admin/billing/QA but takes forever and is laid out in a manner that forces redundant charting . A basic ALS chart for a 3 hour pt contact can run 13 pages and take 2-3 hours to do. Plus, no ability to scan in and append documents like signed consents etc - EMS charts has these features.