6 replies to this topic

#1 Shady2005

Shady2005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:37 PM

Just wondering, has anyone ever done, or looked at doing, chart dictation instead of computer or hand written?

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:06 AM

Alan Dobowolski and I did this in the mid-90s at a hospital-based program with 24hr onsite transcriptionists. We came up with a template that matched the narrative page of a hand-written chart, so all we had to write out was the cover page and vital signs. We were able to complete a flight record in about 15 minutes once we got used to it. It really freed us to be much more detailed in the assessments and descriptions of interventions, etc. The transciption department treated them as a STAT dictation so the turn-around time was pretty quick - ended up being faster than when we'd handwrite a chart. At the time, we didn't have to make much of a business case and we never did calculate the cost-benefit, but our primary selling points were legibility, speed, and improved overall quality of documentation.

Point is, it worked well for us but was never fully adopted by the entire team. While it was an interesting experiment, I'm not sure the conditions we had could be duplicated now to make this worthwhile from a cost/time point of view. Always have wondered if anyone else had tried this though.
Rollie Parrish
FlightWeb Webmaster

#3 Shady2005

Shady2005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:59 AM

Interesting Rollie. Thanks for the info. I'm curious to see if anyone else out there has tried it. I've often thought about it and we've discussed it here amongst the crew, but haven't gone anywhere with it yet.

#4 MSDeltaFlt

MSDeltaFlt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

With 4, count 'em "4", speech impediments there's no way in Hell I'd dictate charts.
Mike Hester, RRT/NRP/FP-C
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear -- Mark Twain

#5 DavidK.

DavidK.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:42 PM

It would be interesting to see if some of the speech recognition technologies could be used to provide voice dictation for patient care documentation. Kurzweil and some other companies have been improving these technologies. With a proper form/chart, use of voice could speed documentation of care and allow for some intelligent contextual documentation.
David Kearns, MS, RN
Flight For Life Colorado
St. Anthony Hospital
Denver, Colorado

#6 LearRRT-CCEMTP

LearRRT-CCEMTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

It would be interesting to see if some of the speech recognition technologies could be used to provide voice dictation for patient care documentation. Kurzweil and some other companies have been improving these technologies. With a proper form/chart, use of voice could speed documentation of care and allow for some intelligent contextual documentation.

David,
I've been wondering the same thing. If EMS Charts, Zoll Data or Golden Hour have been developing voice recognition. I am like Mike and have some speech issues, went to speech therapy from the 1st grade til the 12th but the modern technology works pretty well for me. I would be very interested to learn if these companies are working on anything....
David W. Garrard, BHS, RRT, RCP, CCEMTP, PNCCT, CFC
Vice President and Program Director
AeroMD
Dedicated to the Speed of Life!
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, United States Virgin Islands
Toll Free: 1-844-AeroMD-1

#7 BackcountryMedic

BackcountryMedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:33 PM

Google makes a free voice recording and recognition product. See https://www.google.com/voice This is essentially voice mail for your phone, but it will transcribe your messages and email the results to you. The results can be pretty entertaining. You can also embed the voice message in a blog, web page or other document for playback at anytime to anyone.

Check it out. I'm note saying this is the answer, but it is a cool app that someday may be the solution.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - Patton