• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flightrnmedic

flightrnmedic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:22 AM

I have had a Palm Pilot for four years. My Palm Pilot had all of my medical protocols, software, and anything else that I would need for the job. Well, my Palm Pilot is MIA and I find that it needs to be replaced. So, with all of that said, I need to break down and purchase some form of smart phone. Anyone care to recommend a particular device? I went out to my local Verizon store and found myself with more questions than answeres. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Be safe,

Paul
Be Brief, be bright, begone!

#2 Thinking

Thinking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:30 PM

There is only one choice, the iPhone. I have used a few various devices, but nothing compares to it. The aps that are available for it rock, and they are very affordable. Do yourself a favor though, Otterbox makes an amazing case for it, it really takes a beating, and no problems yet. It really is cheap insurance for your device.

#3 nursemedic

nursemedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:41 AM

iPhone wins hands down
Greg

#4 Brian Gacioch

Brian Gacioch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

One more vote for the iPhone. The iPod Touch is also a phenomenal PDA if you're in an area that doesn't have great AT&T and/or 3G service.

Brian

#5 emtp127

emtp127

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

Another vote in favor....I love the IPhone, hands down.. Everybody in our base has either a Itouch or Iphone, lots of apps and easy to use.
Justin, Flight Paramedic

#6 BackcountryMedic

BackcountryMedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:40 PM

What about those of us without ATT as an option? Anyone have a feeling about Windows Mobile OS or other OS for use as a PDA.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - Patton

#7 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:43 PM

I had an iPhone for a few months and it was a great device - the number and quality of the available apps (clinical and otherwise) is mind-boggling. I you already use an iPod an iTunes you will find the iPhone very intuitive and easy to use. It did lots of really cool stuff and was super user-friendly.

However, if like me, you travel frequently and need a really dependable network, then unfortunately the iPhone is simply not an option. I had to get rid of mine and go back to Verizon.

I just got the new HTC Eris with the Google Android operating system (Verizon), and I can tell you that this thing ROCKS. It is very similar to the iPhone in many regards. Some things the Apple does better, some things this does better. Overall I definitely wouldn't say Android is better than iPhone at this point, but there is no question that it will become so in the not-too-distant future thanks to the open-development nature of both Google Apps and the Android OS, and the fact that any manufacturer can choose to put Android on their device, whereas only Apple can use their OS. Unfortunately, there are very few clinical apps for Android right now, but I think that will change very quickly as the number of available apps increases daily. The HTC Eris is definitely the closest you can get to an iPhone on Verizon.

Windows Mobile is not bad either. I was quite happy with my HTC Ozone (Windows Mobile 6.1). There are plenty of apps available for it, but you have to search for them (there is no centralized "app store" for Windows Mobile like there is for the iPhone and Android OS) and they cost money.

The Palm Pre is an excellent choice I hear, and is supposedly coming to Verizon soon (it uses a new Palm OS that will be much more app-developer friendly). The new Blackberry Storm II is supposedly much better than the original Storm, and the Blackberry Tour and Bold have both gotten great review, too.

Another option is to get an iPod Touch and use it as a PDA and have a seperate cell phone. All the apps that go on the iPhone go on the Touch as well. The touch is literally just an iPhone without a cellular radio installed.

I'm not a tech guy at all, but I have looked at a lot of smart phones and have owned several in the past couple of years, just looking for the perfect one. The iPhone would've been IT for sure if it were available on Verizon....right now, if Verizon were to get the iPhone I don't think I would trade my Android for it.
bring it in for the real thing

#8 Medic09

Medic09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:16 PM

Old School, why did you choose the 'droid over the Storm II? If you made another choice now would you use the same phone, different phone, or phone and iTouch combo?

Mordechai Y. Scher
NRP, FP-C, RN

It's all about kind, competent patient care; and getting home safely to tell about it.