• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Derek8819

Derek8819

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:40 PM

What are some reccomendations you guys are using for computer billing/charting and the pros and cons of each. We currently are using paper charting and our administration feels we could possibly have better collection rates with computer billing, has anyones program done such a change and what did they notice? Our entire team is looking forward to your input and are excited to see what others are using to help us take the next step forward with our program. Thanks!

#2 clearblueskies

clearblueskies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:28 PM

We switched from paper charts to Electronic charting last year and the program we are using is GREAT. Just go to www.emscharts.com and check it out they will even do a free demo for you. There are a TON of ways that the program can be administered everything from a desktop to a PDA can be used. It is internet based and they have a billing module as well. This program has SOOOOO many aspects to it and you can choose to use or not use what ever portion you want. It will even keep track of your certs. for you and remind you ahead of time what is due to expire. If you Have any other questions about it PM me, I'm the administrator for ours and can answer just about anything.
Fly Safe,
Jeremy

#3 LearRRT-CCEMTP

LearRRT-CCEMTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:47 PM

From a clinician point of view, I prefer paper charting. I feel I can convey a much better picture of the patient and care provided with paper charting opposed to computer charting. However from a management point of view, you can't beat computer charting for record keeping, QA/QC, inventory control, dispatch, etc. If you decide to go with computer charting then in my opinion EMS Charts is the way to go!
David W. Garrard, BHS, RRT, RCP, CCEMTP, PNCCT, CFC
Vice President and Program Director
AeroMD
Dedicated to the Speed of Life!
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, United States Virgin Islands
Toll Free: 1-844-AeroMD-1

#4 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:07 PM

I really disliked EMS Charts for quite a while, but it has grown on me. I do wish it had more free-text fields and was more easily customizable in some respects, but overall it is a good system.

One huge improvement would be if rather than being strictly online, EMS Charts would allow you to fill out an offline template (on a laptop when you don't have internet access) which is then uploaded to the site when you get web access and sign in. Probably wouldn't get used in the helicopters much, but we do lots of FW flights and long ground trips where we could easily have the chart 95% complete before we even finish the transport, if we just didn't need internet access to use it. Who knows, maybe they do offer that and my program just hasn't spent the money on that capability?

I do think there is a mobile version that allows you to use a PDA to at least get your chart started while on the transport....we don't have that either, though.
bring it in for the real thing

#5 Rob

Rob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:32 PM

I really disliked EMS Charts for quite a while, but it has grown on me. I do wish it had more free-text fields and was more easily customizable in some respects, but overall it is a good system.

One huge improvement would be if rather than being strictly online, EMS Charts would allow you to fill out an offline template (on a laptop when you don't have internet access) which is then uploaded to the site when you get web access and sign in. Probably wouldn't get used in the helicopters much, but we do lots of FW flights and long ground trips where we could easily have the chart 95% complete before we even finish the transport, if we just didn't need internet access to use it. Who knows, maybe they do offer that and my program just hasn't spent the money on that capability?

I do think there is a mobile version that allows you to use a PDA to at least get your chart started while on the transport....we don't have that either, though.

emsCharts has emsMobile that can be completed on the laptop and uploaded later once you get an internet connection. You do not need to use a PDA.

#6 clearblueskies

clearblueskies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:25 PM

From a clinician point of view, I prefer paper charting. I feel I can convey a much better picture of the patient and care provided with paper charting opposed to computer charting. However from a management point of view, you can't beat computer charting for record keeping, QA/QC, inventory control, dispatch, etc. If you decide to go with computer charting then in my opinion EMS Charts is the way to go!

If you can read the handwriting of the person who wrote the chart you can paint a little better picture.(lol) The problem is that there are always a few people in a service that think their hand written charts are bulletproof, when in real life they are not all that great. ( by no means saying yours aren't) But we have one person in our service for example that when describing what had happened to the pt. wrote verbatum the following.... Pt. --------> Fall--------> Car. and he thought this was an approperate way of describing the incident. Now I questioned, dii the pt. fall from the car, did the car fall on the pt. or did the pt. on the car???? Now with EMS charts it MAKES people chart correctly and they way we have it set up it won't let them complete and lock it until they have done it correctly. Just my 2 cents.

#7 insen...

insen...

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:42 AM

One huge improvement would be if rather than being strictly online, EMS Charts would allow you to fill out an offline template (on a laptop when you don't have internet access) which is then uploaded to the site when you get web access and sign in.

Tell them you want it, and I bet they'll make (or bring out) something you can use. It's a decent program, and they are good people.

Trick...some might find this tedious, but it's really no different than transferring handwritten notes to an e-chart. I know of a rare few providers who would write pieces of the chart in Word on a laptop or any available computer (if it didn't allow EMScharts access) while away from their base, time-mark each entry, and then transfer (cut/paste) their entries to the free-text EMScharts fields.

I have come to despise paper charting.
"Miserere stultus qui dicit latin." Contemporary French Linguist Insenescence