5 replies to this topic

#1 Scott S.

Scott S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

I have been told that the MD 902 has a medical configuration that allows a rear loading wheeled stretcher but I can not find any pictures of this set up. Does any one have any pictures/ information on MD 902 utilizing a wheeled stretcher? The Ferno stretcher model 28A would be perfect but any wheeled stretcher configuration would be fine. Additionally, is the MD 902 side patient loading medical configuration utilizes a flight cot only not a wheeled stretcher? This is my understanding of this aircraft, can any one provide me with any pictures of the stretcher/ flight cot configurations.
Thank you for any information
Scott S.

#2 vtach1010

vtach1010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:02 AM

I have not seen a rolling litter/cot system for the 902. We talked to a lot of MD owners to see how they had their a/c set up as we were in the process of getting our own. The only thing that I saw from both programs in the US and Europe were the fixed litter system that swings out of the side for loading. There are 2 height levels for the systems. The taller one from Air Methods can be tilted up and down in addition to the rotation.

I have been told that the MD 902 has a medical configuration that allows a rear loading wheeled stretcher but I can not find any pictures of this set up. Does any one have any pictures/ information on MD 902 utilizing a wheeled stretcher? The Ferno stretcher model 28A would be perfect but any wheeled stretcher configuration would be fine. Additionally, is the MD 902 side patient loading medical configuration utilizes a flight cot only not a wheeled stretcher? This is my understanding of this aircraft, can any one provide me with any pictures of the stretcher/ flight cot configurations.
Scott S.

#3 FlySafe

FlySafe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:42 AM

I have not seen a rolling litter/cot system for the 902. We talked to a lot of MD owners to see how they had their a/c set up as we were in the process of getting our own. The only thing that I saw from both programs in the US and Europe were the fixed litter system that swings out of the side for loading. There are 2 height levels for the systems. The taller one from Air Methods can be tilted up and down in addition to the rotation.

At "my" workplace, we have the 902 with the Air Methods "taller" pedestel.

1) Rear-loading a pt in my humble opinion would put the lifting crew at a disadvantage for proper lifting body-mechanics. The tail boom is so low, and the floor of the patient compartment so high, you would be forced to hunch over and lift with an arched back. Even a BO 105 has better positionning for rear-loading. Also, depending if you want a two-patient configuration, as it stands with the pedestel, the feet of the pt virtually overlap. The back end of the 902 is too narrow for two parallel backboards, because of the rear cabin mounted O2 system.

2) I wouldn't praise the tilting function too heavily as a feature. Albeit a good idea theoretically, with a heavy patient, it's not so easy to lock the litter into a downward angle. It's all too easy to drop the pt to the bottom of the range of motion of the litter. Once this happens, you can't lift the weight off the litter release lock to slide the litter sled off the pedestel and onto a gurney. Then you have to raise the pt back. And to state the obvious, you REALLY don't want to release the litter lock before tilting....for exactly the same reason. The pt will drop because the litter lock holds the litter to the pedestel. Not to mention the potential for staff injuries trying to stop the avalanche of patient!

For potential advocates out there, you can use the horizontal sliding function to reposition the center gravity of the pt directly over the pedestel to promote easier tilting. However in practice, and based on our experience, to our new staff, we recommend not using it, for patient, as well as flight crew lifting, back, wrist, arm...etc safety.

Just my humble opinion, and several of those who I work with.

#4 Scott S.

Scott S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your opinons and comments. It is nice to have others within the industry share experiences, pros and cons.

Remember...
Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement!
Scott S.

#5 Will Wingfield

Will Wingfield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:03 PM

I was with AeroCare in Lubbock when they got their first 902's. We went through all of these same issues and looked seriously at helping them design a rear-loading, wheeled stretcher. As another already posted, the rear hatch door is just not in a good position relative to the large tail boom for good lifting. And even if you could magically move the tail boom, a wheeled stretcher would require the patient completely supine and an average man only had an inch or two between their nose and the top of the door opening for clearance. Add in a little obesity, a backboard or anything else and it wouldn't clear... period.

Side loading was the only way and with practice, it's very doable.... but there are some tricks to the technique to minimize injuries and risk during the load; which the previous poster mentioned.

Wanna make some cash? Come up with a track system that will allow you to load a wheeled gurney from the side of the bird at an angle.

Good luck
WW
William Wingfield, CRNA, MSNA, FP-C, CFRN
Owner/Educator
The ResQ Shop, LLC

#6 FyrRescu

FyrRescu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:57 AM

Scott S.

Caught these pics on a website for SkyFlight. Maybe they'll help a little...

http://skyflightcare...02Explorer.html