5 replies to this topic

#1 dane taylor

dane taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

My wife is going through the initial steps of joining the Army as a PA-C. She told the recruiter that I am a flight paramedic (NR/CCEMT-P, FP-C) and he said that there were jobs for civilian flight paramedics. One of the jobs mentioned was part of a FST (forward surgical team)? I have not been able to find any information on this. I can tell you that we will be going to Landsthul Germany. What are the possibilities of getting a flight job while oversees? Any help would be appreciated!
J. Dane Taylor FP-C, CCEMT-P, NREMT-P
Flight Paramedic
Life Flight One Jacksonville Florida
www.lifeflightjax.com

#2 dane taylor

dane taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

Bueller? Bueller? Come on military folks! ;) ;) ;)
Flight Paramedic
www.lifeflightjax.com

#3 NaCl

NaCl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

My wife is going through the initial steps of joining the Army as a PA-C. She told the recruiter that I am a flight paramedic (NR/CCEMT-P, FP-C) and he said that there were jobs for civilian flight paramedics. One of the jobs mentioned was part of a FST (forward surgical team)? I have not been able to find any information on this. I can tell you that we will be going to Landsthul Germany. What are the possibilities of getting a flight job while oversees? Any help would be appreciated!

The AMEDD (Army Medical Department) recruiters have the tough job of selling a tough job, so sometimes they may portray things in a more sanguine context. Wink, shrug, nod...

If I understand your question, you are not wishing to enlist or commission but rather work as a civilian flight paramedic in or around the installation where your wife will be stationed? All "operational" jobs in an FST would require actually joining the Army; and they do not have any flight medic slots organic to their unit structure.

For civilian flight medic jobs, the closest thing I can think that the recruiter was referring to is the somewhat-newly established defense contractors who provide fill-in MEDEVAC for large Army posts.

The small community of Army MEDEVAC units are spread thin and have been in a nearly-constant deployment cycle since the onset of the Global War on Terror. This reached a crisis state where virtually no assets were available to provide coverage for the bases when the MEDEVAC units are overseas or in transition. As such, the Army contracted with private firms to provide air ambulance to some of the larger posts like Ft. Hood and Ft. Bliss in Texas. Some of these companies even advertised their paramedic positions on FlightWeb within the last few years.

I met a few of the medics who work for the contracted provider at Ft. Hood when I attended a CCEMTP class three years ago. They were very enthusiastic about their jobs in terms of the provided advanced medical training, mandated rescue posture (hoist capable), and large aircraft (I think it was a Bell "Huey" variant) the Army contract required. They were less happy about only being able to respond to calls on military land and had the usual gripes of working for a newly established operation.

I do not know if these programs are still in existence or if they ever used such a model in Germany where your wife is looking to go. The only OCONUS location I heard of the Army soliciting bids for civilian MEDEVAC was in Hawaii. There may be other opportunities however, as Landsthul receives many war casualties from the Air Force CCATT units and they may have some civilian positions relevant to your experience at the Army Medical Center there.

Good luck to you both!

#4 dane taylor

dane taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:31 AM

Thanks for the reply! I am not really familiar with the military and I am less enthusiastic about giving up my full time flight job now in Florida. Again, thanks for the reply! and if anyone else has any information about civilian paramedics working in or around military bases please let me know.
Flight Paramedic
www.lifeflightjax.com

#5 Dustoff1259

Dustoff1259

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

Dane: The advice you have got here is very good. I'd advise you to assume anything out of a recruiter's mouth to be some type of spin, embellishment, misrepresentation, unrealistic view, or other version of less than the truth. I have no actual knowlege or experience with the information you are seeking but I see that you are far more qualified and experienced than most of the active duty people you'd work around.

Good luck to you and your wife. You already are what a lot of people dream of being.

Dustoff 1259

#6 JLP

JLP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:07 PM

Dane: The advice you have got here is very good. I'd advise you to assume anything out of a recruiter's mouth to be some type of spin, embellishment, misrepresentation, unrealistic view, or other version of less than the truth. I have no actual knowlege or experience with the information you are seeking but I see that you are far more qualified and experienced than most of the active duty people you'd work around.

Good luck to you and your wife. You already are what a lot of people dream of being.

Dustoff 1259

How's your German? Austria developed a paramedic program some years ago based on the EMT-P, maybe you should look into getting equivalency. As an alternative, what about companys that do medical repatriation flights?