24 replies to this topic

#21 BackcountryMedic

BackcountryMedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:12 AM

To play devils advocate here,.....Why do medical crews find it necessary to wear their Flight Suits outside of work to the freaking GROCERY STORE or the MALL?

Yuck! Those things are covered in germs. Protect yourself, your family and the public and keep them at work. Same thing for nurses and other health care professionals that wear their scrubs around town. It isn't cool, it's gross.

As to the ego thing - it is pretty lame. You don't see firefighters wearing turnouts home or doctors going to the mall with their stethoscope around their neck.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - Patton

#22 FloridaMedic

FloridaMedic

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:41 AM

don't see firefighters wearing turnouts home

Maybe not turnouts but definitely hangin' at the grocery store and malls in uniform. At any given time of the day you'll see 2 - 5 trucks from the FD at one of these places after a medical call. Sometimes you see them take off their gloves which they wore at the call to toss at the entrance of the grocery store. There is a coffee house that gives free coffee to the FFs around the corner from a couple of nursing homes and one of the hospitals. At the entrance there is a trash can that is full of dirty gloves by the end of the day. Of course, if they are coming from a smoke alarm call, you just might see them in their turnouts. It makes for good conversation. And, when there is a tax amendment for more money in the next election, you can bet they are very visible around town in full costume on and off duty to stay visible to the voters. Let us not forget the bumper stickers on the POVs and the FD T-shirts that are worn everywhere including to bars and fine restaurants. Recognition for a nice discount could also be a factor both on and off duty. The same goes for nonfire EMTs and Paramedics regardless of what type of department they are with. Online catalogs that cater to whackers involved in FD/EMS are big business.

#23 WI Medic

WI Medic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:49 AM

At the entrance there is a trash can that is full of dirty gloves by the end of the day.

That's disgusting. It's like the germophobe medics who wear their gloves TO a call, and then touch the patient, and wear the same gloves to crawl back INTO the driver's seat to drive to the hospital. What about the next person who climbs in to drive - the person who doesn't wear gloves when they drive a rig? I disagree with the childhood lecture of "sharing is caring." I don't know what Joe Blow on the street has, but I can guarantee you, I don't want it!

As to wearing flight suits out of the work setting; I could understand if they just got off work and they're wearing their suits; but aside from going to/from work, it's silly to wear the gear. My personal opinion is that a good part of it is ego (what turns heads better than someone in uniform?)

As to ComSpecs wearing flight suits...I don't see why they shouldn't wear them. If the company wants to provide their ComSpecs with flight suits; or offer the option to buy them; more power to the company. My facility does not offer them to non-flight personnel, nor would I personally want one. We're simply required to "dress nice" for work (business casual, for the most part), or to wear scrubs. Our com center is in a small room off a larger room (we're so often overlooked and ignored) that I'm sure I could get away with wearing lime green pants, a fluorescent pink shirt, with my hair dyed electric blue and nobody would notice. ^.^

#24 ArmyNurse

ArmyNurse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:08 AM

Maybe not turnouts but definitely hangin' at the grocery store and malls in uniform. At any given time of the day you'll see 2 - 5 trucks from the FD at one of these places after a medical call. Sometimes you see them take off their gloves which they wore at the call to toss at the entrance of the grocery store. There is a coffee house that gives free coffee to the FFs around the corner from a couple of nursing homes and one of the hospitals. At the entrance there is a trash can that is full of dirty gloves by the end of the day. Of course, if they are coming from a smoke alarm call, you just might see them in their turnouts. It makes for good conversation. And, when there is a tax amendment for more money in the next election, you can bet they are very visible around town in full costume on and off duty to stay visible to the voters. Let us not forget the bumper stickers on the POVs and the FD T-shirts that are worn everywhere including to bars and fine restaurants. Recognition for a nice discount could also be a factor both on and off duty. The same goes for nonfire EMTs and Paramedics regardless of what type of department they are with. Online catalogs that cater to whackers involved in FD/EMS are big business.

A coffee shop that gives free coffee to jakes, what's the address? The coffee shops around here only give free coffee to the cops. I will agree with you that the gloves thing is disgusting and gross, but I do love driving the ladder truck to the market and checking out the local talent.

#25 FFLMedic12

FFLMedic12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Honestly! Why would you even want to wear a flight suit? They can be so uncomfortable. And, no offense, but flight suits exist for a reason. I've seen several ground programs that wear them just to look more like CCT providers. Such wanna-be's!! Flight suits are for flight crews only. No question.