• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 popbob

popbob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:46 PM

my resume was reviewed by the chief flight nurse who decided i was not a qualified critical care nurse even though i have been working in a civilian level 1 ICU for the past 3 years. i have 2 trauma nursing certifications but not my CCRN. since i dont have my CCRN, i am not a crtical care nurse, althougth one has to be a critical care nurse to work in the ICU. if i cant get the critical care modifier, i dont think i am going to join. has anybody else had these types of problems.

#2 cfrnmedic

cfrnmedic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:32 PM

my resume was reviewed by the chief flight nurse who decided i was not a qualified critical care nurse even though i have been working in a civilian level 1 ICU for the past 3 years. i have 2 trauma nursing certifications but not my CCRN. since i dont have my CCRN, i am not a crtical care nurse, althougth one has to be a critical care nurse to work in the ICU. if i cant get the critical care modifier, i dont think i am going to join. has anybody else had these types of problems.

I took a long distance fixed wing job and the manager(pilot) told me I had to get a Critical Care Certification within 6 mo even though I had my CFRN ,he did not consider that a Critical Care Cert, he only considered CEN and CCRN so yes I have had problems with that.
CFRNMEDIC

#3 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

popbob,

Are you talking about a military position? I'm curious which military outfit you are you trying to get into that they have a chief flight nurse?

At any rate, on one level this is complete BS and I feel for you....it is obvious that your experience is a far better indicator of whether or not you are a "critical care nurse" that is an exam that anybody can pass after a few hours of study.

On the other hand, this type of situation is so common in healthcare that I'm surprised you are taken back by it. Making arbitrary requirements for positions (such as passing a given exam or having X number of years of experience) rather than taking into account much more reliable indicators of suitability - such as personality traits and quality of experience - is simply how healthcare works.

I wouldn't join either, if they didn't give me the critical care identifier. But don't let something as dumb as this keep you from pursing your goals. Just take the stupid CCRN and be done with it, and join. It is fairly easy to maintain after you take it, so you won't have to worry about it anymore.
bring it in for the real thing

#4 popbob

popbob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

popbob,

Are you talking about a military position? I'm curious which military outfit you are you trying to get into that they have a chief flight nurse?

At any rate, on one level this is complete BS and I feel for you....it is obvious that your experience is a far better indicator of whether or not you are a "critical care nurse" that is an exam that anybody can pass after a few hours of study.

On the other hand, this type of situation is so common in healthcare that I'm surprised you are taken back by it. Making arbitrary requirements for positions (such as passing a given exam or having X number of years of experience) rather than taking into account much more reliable indicators of suitability - such as personality traits and quality of experience - is simply how healthcare works.

I wouldn't join either, if they didn't give me the critical care identifier. But don't let something as dumb as this keep you from pursing your goals. Just take the stupid CCRN and be done with it, and join. It is fairly easy to maintain after you take it, so you won't have to worry about it anymore.

this is the air force. i told my recruiter i was planning on taking the CCRN, after my nurse practitioner boards. i have always wanted to do flight nursing and CCATT seemed like a dream slot. i dont wont to give up on this.

#5 SickPuppy

SickPuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

this is the air force. i told my recruiter i was planning on taking the CCRN, after my nurse practitioner boards. i have always wanted to do flight nursing and CCATT seemed like a dream slot. i dont wont to give up on this.

I'm a CCATT nurse, and I've never heard of anybody being turned down because they didn't have their CCRN. CCATT approval is done by a centralized board (they approve who gets CCATT slots or not). One of the members on the selection board is in my squadron (she doesn't have her CCRN either). Which squadron/where are you looking at? The squadron may have decided that they require CCRN from all their CCATT nurses. CCATT is also fairly competitive, so they may set their standards very high. Keep trying. If you do have significant CC experience, then you'll be able to get past the selection board, especially since more than one of their nurses doesn't have CCRN either. Maybe they can let you in if you agree to get it ASAP after getting in.
"Education is only the further realization of your own ignorance." Albert Einstein

GO GATORS!!!

#6 popbob

popbob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:45 PM

I'm a CCATT nurse, and I've never heard of anybody being turned down because they didn't have their CCRN. CCATT approval is done by a centralized board (they approve who gets CCATT slots or not). One of the members on the selection board is in my squadron (she doesn't have her CCRN either). Which squadron/where are you looking at? The squadron may have decided that they require CCRN from all their CCATT nurses. CCATT is also fairly competitive, so they may set their standards very high. Keep trying. If you do have significant CC experience, then you'll be able to get past the selection board, especially since more than one of their nurses doesn't have CCRN either. Maybe they can let you in if you agree to get it ASAP after getting in.

the squadron is in Charleston. i am still wainting to see if my recruiter has set up a interview on the base. do you know how many CCATT units in total there are?

#7 SickPuppy

SickPuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:28 AM

the squadron is in Charleston. i am still wainting to see if my recruiter has set up a interview on the base. do you know how many CCATT units in total there are?

Funny you should say that. My first squadron was the Aeromedical Evac squadron in Charleston (the 315 AES). There are NO CCATT teams at Charleston. They have an AE squadron (very good squadron with great people), but that is it. In the Reserves, to do CCATT, you need to go to an Aeromedical Staging Squadron (ASTS). I think Dobbins (in GA) has one, MacDill (in Tampa) and Patrick (Melbourne, FL) have one (I am at Patrick). I think Andrews (in Maryland) might have one. I'm not sure who else near Charleston would have one. If you want to fly, and drill at Charleston, then you can't go wrong with the AE squadron there. It is not critical care, but still a fun job (lots of travel opportunities). You would not come in as a clinical nurse (46N3 or 46N3E for critical care), you would be a flight nurse (46F1- upgrade to F3 after 1 year on the job), so your job experience would not matter- the chief nurse there happens to be a nurse anesthetist but still is a 46F3, not a 46M3). Let me know if I can provide any more assistance.
"Education is only the further realization of your own ignorance." Albert Einstein

GO GATORS!!!

#8 popbob

popbob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:30 PM

Funny you should say that. My first squadron was the Aeromedical Evac squadron in Charleston (the 315 AES). There are NO CCATT teams at Charleston. They have an AE squadron (very good squadron with great people), but that is it. In the Reserves, to do CCATT, you need to go to an Aeromedical Staging Squadron (ASTS). I think Dobbins (in GA) has one, MacDill (in Tampa) and Patrick (Melbourne, FL) have one (I am at Patrick). I think Andrews (in Maryland) might have one. I'm not sure who else near Charleston would have one. If you want to fly, and drill at Charleston, then you can't go wrong with the AE squadron there. It is not critical care, but still a fun job (lots of travel opportunities). You would not come in as a clinical nurse (46N3 or 46N3E for critical care), you would be a flight nurse (46F1- upgrade to F3 after 1 year on the job), so your job experience would not matter- the chief nurse there happens to be a nurse anesthetist but still is a 46F3, not a 46M3). Let me know if I can provide any more assistance.

the interview went well. my recruiter is sending them the paperwork to gain me. no CCATT but if at one point I want to transfer, they said it is a fairly simple process. we are planning for me to go active for 300 days to get all the training in.

#9 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:31 PM

the interview went well. my recruiter is sending them the paperwork to gain me. no CCATT but if at one point I want to transfer, they said it is a fairly simple process. we are planning for me to go active for 300 days to get all the training in.

Glad it is working out for you. Good luck!
bring it in for the real thing

#10 lostmedic

lostmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:49 AM

Please let us know how it works out for you.
Morgan