• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FRN154

FRN154

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:35 PM

I am looking for information on programs that do IABP transports by ground. I am interested in if your program requires the IABP to be secured and how your program secures the ballon pump in the ambulance during the transport. Thank you for any help or suggestions that you may have.

#2 Firemed1887

Firemed1887

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:51 PM

I am looking for information on programs that do IABP transports by ground. I am interested in if your program requires the IABP to be secured and how your program secures the ballon pump in the ambulance during the transport. Thank you for any help or suggestions that you may have.

Sorry I did not see that you had added this post here also but I responded to you in the original post. Anyway when we transport the IABP we will strap it to multiple points in the ambulance, including the ceiling, the cot mount, the door and the bench seat. Hope this helps. If I can be of anymore help let me know.

#3 JPatterson

JPatterson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:22 PM

My team ordered our current ambulances with a custom bench seat that allows for the end (by the backboard cabinet) to fold up and the IABP machine to be strapped in there. The only downfall that we have in our current ambulances is that we need to load the IABP before we load the patient which can be difficult.
We also just ordered two Quad-Cab Internationals with duel stretcher capibility and all captains seats so we had to add tie-down anchors to the floor and wall near the backboard compartment so that we can strap it in with utility straps. When we transport IABP's in this truck we will have to move the stretcher mounts over towards the drivers side of the truck to make sufficient room to load and will be able to load the pt in first.
I hope this helps
Jeff Patterson NREMT-P

#4 skimedic5

skimedic5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:29 AM

We use the "sled" for the balloon pump that is made for a helicoper. It came with mounts that would fit into the floor tracks in the helicopter. We removed these mounts and drilled two holes through the entire unit. We then had ferno female fasteners installed flush in the floor of the ambulance. When we need the balloon pump it is loaded first and placed at the head of the stretcher. The sled mounts to the floor with two large hand screws and the balloon pump easily rolls into the sled and locks in place. We are using the arrow pump.

#5 ParaMike

ParaMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:37 AM

At the previous service I worked for, we ran a 3 man crew with 2 in the back. One medic and a rn/perfusionist, both qualified on the pump. Our truck (a van.. yes not a mod but a van) was modifed in the rear corner to hold the pump. This was the area that was originally designed for the spare D cylinders. We had a modified stretcher locking bar to hold the unit in along with a safety bar in front. Things were cramped but then again.. there's often less room in a chopper. Actually, after you got used to it, it was nice to have everything at your finger tips.
"Success that is achieved while ignoring what is ethical & moral has a different name... failure."
Mike Yother, CCEMTP, RN
Children's Hospital at Erlanger - Emergency Department
Chattanooga, TN

#6 Flightmedic317

Flightmedic317

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:50 PM

A company on the more national level that i am not fond of (nothing against anyone who works for them) that might be able to provide you with some information on IABP's in their CCT is called Superior Ambulance Service. Their HQ is in Illinois and they have moved to michigan and other states. They have their ground CCT medics get trained on their own IABP that they have (unknown how they have their own when you pick up a patient on it and can't really switch it over) but they could be of help. http://www.superiorambulance.com/
Justin, NREMT-P, CCEMT-P, EMS I/C
Critical Care Flight Paramedic
-- "Angel in the sky" --

#7 vamedic

vamedic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:35 AM

We had mounting tracks built into the floor of the unit probably the same type that are commonly used in W/C vans to adjust the pt position in those vehicles. With the appropriate straps to accompany the mounting tracks, you could secure anything that need be secured. we had ours placed for ECMO pump transport, but they allow for maximum flexibility and could easly accomdate an IABP.

#8 pmedic8991

pmedic8991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:40 AM

It seems that there are several options to securing the pump, however we are having issues loading the pumps into our units with the restricted length of tubing...any suggestions on this aspect? We have already asked our major contract to switch over to the longer tubing...they said no, because it cost $100 more...go figure!

Thanks in advance for answers!

#9 chris

chris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

We load the pump behind the patient as the stretcher is being pushed in the truck. Awkward but functional. We have the same problem with short tubing. You just have to have 2 guys pick up the pump and load it as the stretcher is being pushed in. That is the only way it works for us.