• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sandman

sandman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:47 AM

Curious if and how programs are doing fetal monitoring during flight. I've seen some literature on it but curious to see who is actually doing it.

thanks.

#2 Loydster

Loydster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:40 AM

We have at REACH. We are using the Phillips dual head Toco and find it an awesome tool. We did quite a bit of research prior to purchasing it. You will find those that do and do not believe in them. I will tell you that you can see if the fetus is in distress and you can do interventions at that time to help such as re position, fluid bolus and O2. It also can prepare you for getting to the accepting facility if you are in deed having problems vs flying blind. I compare having a tocometer vs doppler to placing a EKG on the a pt with CP every 15" then taking the EKG off. Who knows what is is going on during the un monitored time. For more insight into this I recommend you talk with Pam Adams with OB stat. She is one of the experts out there and also puts on a great class.

#3 drewmangroup

drewmangroup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:29 PM

We have started utilizing the Phillips FM2 monitor for our FW HROB transports (usually approx 2hrs of total pt transport time). It has been a great experience, something that we should have started years ago. Even during the trial/testing period, we were able to identify (and address) fetal distress which, even a month prior, would have gone unnoticed. The entire premise of critical care transport is to maintain or exceed the previous level of care during the transport. It is hard to argue that periodic doppler checks during the transport constitute the same level of care as continuous monitoring of a HROB patient on an L+D floor. You will be amazed how this device will improve your ability to continually assess your HROB patients and provide better care. Please let us know if you need any assistance with policy or protocol development.

Andrew Bartkus, RN, MSN, CEN, CCRN, CFRN, NREMT-P, FP-C
Lifeguard Air Emergency Services

#4 Jason C. West

Jason C. West

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:10 AM

We have started utilizing the Phillips FM2 monitor for our FW HROB transports (usually approx 2hrs of total pt transport time). It has been a great experience, something that we should have started years ago. Even during the trial/testing period, we were able to identify (and address) fetal distress which, even a month prior, would have gone unnoticed. The entire premise of critical care transport is to maintain or exceed the previous level of care during the transport. It is hard to argue that periodic doppler checks during the transport constitute the same level of care as continuous monitoring of a HROB patient on an L+D floor. You will be amazed how this device will improve your ability to continually assess your HROB patients and provide better care. Please let us know if you need any assistance with policy or protocol development.

Andrew Bartkus, RN, MSN, CEN, CCRN, CFRN, NREMT-P, FP-C
Lifeguard Air Emergency Services

Is anyone that you know of using the Philips MRX monitor to do their toco monitoring? We just got he Philips MRX and know that they have the cable but have been told that it is in beta testing and that we couldn't have it yet. If we are ever able to get it, it will be great to be able to do everything with just ONE cable!

Thanks,

Jason
Jason C. West NREMT-P, CCEMT-P, have to retake my FP-C cause I let it expire (idiot!!!! I know)
Houston, TX

#5 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

any updates? bump!
LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Sean G. Smith, RN-Alphabet Soup

#6 jimbob

jimbob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

It seems that since this topic was generated it is becoming harder and harder to find portable fetal monitors/tocometers. Any suggestions or other models being utilized? Thanks. Jim

#7 jimbob

jimbob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

Oh, and how are you securing them when in use during the trasport? Jim

#8 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

Now THAT would be sweet - an IBP port compatible Toco and EFM sensor for the MD - with 3 channels we could do twins with no extra equipment. Hey Zoll, anybody listening??
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#9 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

All I can find so far... Anyone able to add to the list?

Phillips FM-2
Analogic FetalGard Lite
Nicolet Versalab APM2
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P