11 replies to this topic

#1 SickPuppy

SickPuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:36 AM

I just got into Iraq a couple days ago, working a ground assignment in the ER at the AFTH in Balad. I noticed that the 10th Mountain was flying evac in UH-60A's. I was told that they were fairly underpowered compared to later models, which I could see being an issue in the desert. This got me thinking whether people had any preferences or experiences (good or bad) with one airframe or another that made them have really strong opinions (good or bad) about them.

I personally have about 250 hours in C-17's, 200 in C-130's, 200 in C-141, and 50 in KC-135's. It might sound snobbish, but I loved flying C-17's. The AC is huge, open, well lit, and comfortable. It is easy to configure for patients, and really easy to work in. The C-130 is good for tactical evac, but lacks all of the creature comforts of the C-17. I dreaded flying in the C-141 and hated flying in the KC-135. The 141 is cramped (when you put 70 patients on board) and uncomfortable. The 135 reminds me of what my mother is going through right now- it has hot flashes, then cold flashes, then hot, then cold. Sometimes it's hot and cold in the same spot. It's cramped and not user friendly. Basically, it sucks at having to move patients- especially critical ones.
"Education is only the further realization of your own ignorance." Albert Einstein

GO GATORS!!!

#2 OKANG FN

OKANG FN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:43 AM

My personal favorite is the 130. Low and slow, down and dirty flying...love it! Easy to configure for cargo/pt load mix. But the C-17 is by far the easiest airframe to work with and set up, esp with CCATT involved. Very comfortable and electrical outlets for the DVD player (just kidding). I just started flying in the 135 and so far I'm not diggin' it, but we just converted over from 130's so it's a totally different feel. The 141 was not cool. PITA to configure but it could move massive amounts of pts once it was ready to go.

I just got into Iraq a couple days ago, working a ground assignment in the ER at the AFTH in Balad. I noticed that the 10th Mountain was flying evac in UH-60A's. I was told that they were fairly underpowered compared to later models, which I could see being an issue in the desert. This got me thinking whether people had any preferences or experiences (good or bad) with one airframe or another that made them have really strong opinions (good or bad) about them.

I personally have about 250 hours in C-17's, 200 in C-130's, 200 in C-141, and 50 in KC-135's. It might sound snobbish, but I loved flying C-17's. The AC is huge, open, well lit, and comfortable. It is easy to configure for patients, and really easy to work in. The C-130 is good for tactical evac, but lacks all of the creature comforts of the C-17. I dreaded flying in the C-141 and hated flying in the KC-135. The 141 is cramped (when you put 70 patients on board) and uncomfortable. The 135 reminds me of what my mother is going through right now- it has hot flashes, then cold flashes, then hot, then cold. Sometimes it's hot and cold in the same spot. It's cramped and not user friendly. Basically, it sucks at having to move patients- especially critical ones.

#3 SickPuppy

SickPuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:28 AM

My personal favorite is the 130. Low and slow, down and dirty flying...love it! Easy to configure for cargo/pt load mix. But the C-17 is by far the easiest airframe to work with and set up, esp with CCATT involved. Very comfortable and electrical outlets for the DVD player (just kidding). I just started flying in the 135 and so far I'm not diggin' it, but we just converted over from 130's so it's a totally different feel. The 141 was not cool. PITA to configure but it could move massive amounts of pts once it was ready to go.

Don't feel guilty about plugging your DVD (or I-Pod, or PSP, etc.) into the 110V outlet on the C-17. It's just like another thing- 95% of us do it, and the other 5% are lying.
"Education is only the further realization of your own ignorance." Albert Einstein

GO GATORS!!!

#4 BadPieces

BadPieces

Advanced Member

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:49 AM

Sick Puppy, how did you log over 700hrs as a CCATT nurse? CCATT members aren't on A orders/Flight status and as such do not log hours. Were you AE first? Or are you just keeping a running tally in your mind of how long you've been aboard the different airframes? I'm curious to know if we've ever met since AE is such a small world
RN, NREMT-P, X, Y, Z

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in a world they have been given than to explore the power they have to change it." -Richard Bullock

#5 SickPuppy

SickPuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:34 AM

Sick Puppy, how did you log over 700hrs as a CCATT nurse? CCATT members aren't on A orders/Flight status and as such do not log hours. Were you AE first? Or are you just keeping a running tally in your mind of how long you've been aboard the different airframes? I'm curious to know if we've ever met since AE is such a small world

I was AE first. I've actually got 0/nada/zip/zilch flight hours since switching to CCATT. I'd like to, but as a reservist, it's been damn near impossible to find CCATT slots to deploy to. That's why I'm here in Balad working in the ER. I'm hoping to get some of the Baghdad (UH-60) runs once my replacement gets here in November. I'd like to try to get a CCATT slot in Baghram next, but we'll see.

GO GATORS!!!

#6 nosleep4r

nosleep4r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:45 PM

funny....you guys keep talking about how much room is in the C-17... I'm drooling... but I guess the Army always does that with the AF. As far as airframes I started in an UH-1 and recently "upgraded" to the UH-60A... not always sure how turning in 35 yr old AC to get 25 yr old AC is an upgrade, But I feel like we can run laps in the back of the 60. I suppose that's how it feels when you can fit 3-4 of our AC into one of yours.

Hope to hear more from you guys soon...Fly safe
CCEMTP, NREMTP

#7 navyflightnurse

navyflightnurse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:22 PM

I spent 2 tours in Iraq. My last being in Fallujah. I am a Navy flight nurse with over 1000 hours in UH-60A's, H's, CH46, UH1, C-130. I found that flying in Iraq the CH46 had better onboard defenses for daytime flying. It also has plenty of room to take care of multiple vented patients. The night flights with the Army where faster with the UH-60 it was cramped and you could only take care of the patient either in front or in back Unless they turn the carosel. I flew many times into Balad. Are they still getting pizza flown in from germany on the medevac C-17?

#8 OKANG FN

OKANG FN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:14 PM

I flew many times into Balad. Are they still getting pizza flown in from germany on the medevac C-17?

We'll fly down anything (legal) they ask for. My last trip over there the Ritter Sport candy bars where the hot items. :D

Take care.

#9 SickPuppy

SickPuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:15 PM

We'll fly down anything (legal) they ask for. My last trip over there the Ritter Sport candy bars where the hot items. :D

Take care.

We actually have a Pizza Hut here in Balad now. It almost tastes like real Pizza Hut, and you can get pork products on your pizza. If anybody is doing AE missions from Germany into Balad, I had some people ask for real milk. I'm sure they'd pay $$$ (not actually 3 bills for it, but just money) for it if somebody could bring it with them next time they fly a mission.

GO GATORS!!!

#10 OKANG FN

OKANG FN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

If anybody is doing AE missions from Germany into Balad, I had some people ask for real milk. I'm sure they'd pay $$$ (not actually 3 bills for it, but just money) for it if somebody could bring it with them next time they fly a mission.

What's wrong man, you guys don't like the expired banana milk? :o It's a great laxative.

#11 SickPuppy

SickPuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:37 PM

What's wrong man, you guys don't like the expired banana milk? :o It's a great laxative.

Isn't the D-FAC food enough of a laxative???

GO GATORS!!!

#12 NaCl

NaCl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:34 PM

The "Alpha" model UH-60s are not only criticized as underpowered but have the older avionics, and the rear compartment (where we work) was HARDLY designed for effective patient care. Leave carousels back at the carnival if you ask me! We don't use them for stateside missions nor were they employed when our unit was in Afghanistan.

You may be seeing some of the HH/UH-60M "Mike models" coming through the pad too. Those are nice. In fact, the Army & Sikorsky contracted none other than Air Methods to build the medical suite in back. They are more conducive to MEDEVAC and similar to what you would expect from a modern civilian outfit. The pilots get an all glass cabin, radar, and upgraded GE 701 engines for more power at altitude and on hot days.

However, the "alpha" UH-60s are still a workhorse. They list the out-of-ground effect hover at like 10,400 ft, but two weeks ago we did a hoist rescue at 11,500 ft! They are also versatile for all the "ash and trash" homeland security missions like wildland firefighting, pax haul and slingload (aerial crane) operations.

You didn't like the KC-135? I got to fly on one to Hawaii and it was cool sitting down in that glass-bottom refuler's nest watching the earth and sea below.