• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tfin

tfin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:30 AM

Does anyone's vendor prohibit them from performing search and rescue on their own aircraft? Are you allowed to do SAR on other flight program's downed aircraft?

#2 Irishflyer5

Irishflyer5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:24 PM

In Illinois we use the Coast Guard, or one of several Police agencies for all SAR. The helicopter we flew in was not set up for SAR, in fact it was down right impractical.
Doing SAR for your own downed bird, or even for another provider where you may know members of the crew, seems too emotional to me. I think personnel performing SAR for thier own team may lose focus on simple safety issues, in an attempt to deperately keep searching. Plus if you were to find them, I think the crew could become quickly overwhelmed by what they may see. Not a good time to be in the air.
Just some thoughts.

#3 Jnstitz

Jnstitz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

In Illinois we use the Coast Guard, or one of several Police agencies for all SAR. The helicopter we flew in was not set up for SAR, in fact it was down right impractical.
Doing SAR for your own downed bird, or even for another provider where you may know members of the crew, seems too emotional to me. I think personnel performing SAR for thier own team may lose focus on simple safety issues, in an attempt to deperately keep searching. Plus if you were to find them, I think the crew could become quickly overwhelmed by what they may see. Not a good time to be in the air.
Just some thoughts.

Of the programs down here I don't think they have any protocol for that set up...but I'm with ya in its probably a bad idea to be in the air looking for coworkers or other companies helo's. Of course my instict would have me want to be there without a doubt, but it may just cloud your judgement and drive you to push a little to far... I'm interested to hear what others say on this though!
Jon Stitzinger NREMTP, CCEMTP, FW Pilot
Childrens National Medical Center - Washington DC
Pediatric/Neonatal Transport Team

#4 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

In my opinion,
I you are not formally/professionally trained in any search and rescue; land, air or water, you should NEVER attempt it. There's way to much involved with SAR to have an untrained crew disrupt the tactics used......

Leave it to the Pros; because the odds are you will be a liability and might need someone searching for you!!!!

At my program we would not.

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center