1 reply to this topic

#1 B. Cornelius RN EMT-P

B. Cornelius RN EMT-P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:38 AM

Does anyone have a cited source for the percentage of high risk OB/Post Partum patients transported by air? Doing some research and haven't had any luck finding the info. Thanks

#2 JLP

JLP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:20 AM

Does anyone have a cited source for the percentage of high risk OB/Post Partum patients transported by air? Doing some research and haven't had any luck finding the info. Thanks

I think you need to specify the environment you are talking about. In our far northern areas, EVERY high risk OB/post-partum patient is transported by air, simply because they can't stay in their local communities and there's no other way to go south. I'm guessing that you are referring to situations where those patients are transported by air instead of by ground, or transported by air rather than staying in their original hospital. Down where you are, I would think that the tertiary receiving centres for these patients would have that kind of data simply for logistical reasons (e.g. helipad maintenance and security, etc). Pick an area where one high-level centre serves a large area and you'd likely find numbers. Alternatively, pick an area where specialty teams do all those calls, those teams usually have an idea of percentage volumes.