3 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:13 AM

This is a continuation of the discussion regarding Is the BK the new 105 ?

With what seems like everyone upgrading to a 135 or 145 ect., has the BK become passe ? This is absolutely not a knock against the BK. I love the BK, including the BK shudder on final. What brings this up is, recently, i saw a BK next to a 145. Gosh, the BK looked dated. I never quite thought of it that way untill the two were side by side. Confused yeah, i know, DUH !, it is an old airframe. but still, just an observation.

thanks and rock on.

Rollie Parrish
FlightWeb Webmaster

#2 NighthawkPatrick

NighthawkPatrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:47 PM

Bringing my reply in the old forum over here...

50th,

I don't think it's so much the BK becoming passe as that Eurocopter isn't making them anymore. I've heard through various grapevines that with BKs out of production, difficulties are starting to crop up with getting repair parts and such. Not to mention that some of the BK airframes out there have more than a few flight hours built up on them.

Looking in from the outside (both literally and figuratively) as a comm spec, I've seen BO's, BK's, EC-135's, AStar's, Bell 222's, and Bell 412's up close. I've also been able to take some flights in 222's, BK's and EC-135's. Of those six, I've always felt (from my outsider's viewpoint) the BK was the best for patient access, available workspace, potential versatility, etc. But with them out of production, I know they'll slowly be fading away, and I'll be sorry to see them go. Especially as I see very few places that are willing replace them with EC-145's (as Irish said, the cost is hugimous!), and I feel the EC-135's are a bit cramped in the patient area in comparison. I also don't see where many operatiosn that have been long-time MBB / Eurocopter operators would suddenly decide to switch to say Bells, Agustas or Sikorskis. Unless you've got a REALLY good reason to switch, you're going to stick with brands / products you trust.

B) Tossing in my two cents from the comms console...

Patrick, Life*Com Communications. The opinions expressed here are solely my own, and in no way represent Life*Com, Air Methods Corporation or any related entity.

#3 flyntc

flyntc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:27 PM

Hey Rollie,
I believe the EC 145's type certificate lists it as a BK 117 C2 so I guess the BK isn't really gone....... - T.C.

#4 MFlightRN

MFlightRN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:51 AM

Like the BK surpassed the BO-105, so will it be with the 135/145
Lou-