• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 FlightRN4911

FlightRN4911

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:41 PM

Last week we transported premature triplets. A was 590g, B was 480 g and C was only 330g. Does anyone know what the smallest neonate ever successfully transported that lived over a week is? 330 has to be close if not THE record?
Dameion (2 programs, 1 goal!)

#2 medicerik

medicerik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

Last week we transported premature triplets. A was 590g, B was 480 g and C was only 330g. Does anyone know what the smallest neonate ever successfully transported that lived over a week is? 330 has to be close if not THE record?

What are your guidelines as to when to offer resuscitation? I was always taught under 500 grams, don't resuscitate.

Erik
Erik Glassman, BS, CCEMT-P, FP-C, EMT-T

#3 jobrien

jobrien

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:38 PM

I am curious- are they all still alive and was the team present for the birth?- Tell us more!! It has got to be pretty darn close to some record!

#4 jwalshfan

jwalshfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:47 PM

Smallest I ever transported that lived (at least I know it was discharged home) was a 400g.

Warren, RN/LP

#5 FlightRN4911

FlightRN4911

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:42 AM

well I think the weight had a lot to do with the fact that there are triplets. For example.. if there were 5 of them and say 26 weeks, maybe one of them would be 450g. The weight would not be a factor as much as the gestation.. right? anyway. its has been 1 week and one day and the 2 smallest are still hanging in there. actually the 330g is doing better then the 480g. I have not heard of or seen anything that small. From what I understand, its the smallest surviving infant in Duke's NICU ever (heard from a staff nurse, not fact) but I can see that as not hard to believe..

So im looking to see what the smallest EVER transported is???

#6 LearRRT-CCEMTP

LearRRT-CCEMTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:41 AM

I was always taught that gestation was a bigger determing factor than weight. Development is based on this, I mean I've been in deliveries where we were led to believe the gestational age was older than it was. The neonate would be delivered and we would find determining factors like the eyes were still fused together along with other factors and not resuscitate. In almost all of the Neonatal units I've worked in we have used 24 weeks as the cut off. Anything younger were determined not viable. Now that didn't mean we did not occasionally have overzealous Neonatalogy fellows that would try and resuscitate 22 and 23 weekers but they always turned out bad and gave false hope to parents. I remember many moons ago in my young days I worked with one fellow who constantly did this so one morning as a friendly reminder we all set up an isolete with a petre dish and taped an ETT, lines, ect to it along with setting up a vent, monitor, pumps and such so when we were all on rounds we could point out that he struck again! He got the point after that!
David W. Garrard, BHS, RRT, RCP, CCEMTP, PNCCT
Program Director and Vice President
AAC - Air Ambulance Caribbean, Inc. D/B/A Flight 4 Life
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI

#7 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

No longer David. Look up "Baby Doe Act" or "Born Alive Infant Protection Act". Though the BD Act was over turned, not providing care to newborns may still be viewed as homocide.

Richard
Richard P. Mitchell, RRT-NPS
Pediatric Respiratory Therapist
Vidant Medical Center, Greenville, NC and
HHS/OS/ASPR/OPEO/NDMS/DMAT-NC1 & MAC-ST

#8 LearRRT-CCEMTP

LearRRT-CCEMTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:06 PM

No longer David. Look up "Baby Doe Act" or "Born Alive Infant Protection Act". Though the BD Act was over turned, not providing care to newborns may still be viewed as homocide.

Richard

Richard,
Very interesting! I would love to read more about this but I did an online search for "Baby Doe Act" and could not find anything. Could you point me in the right direction?
Dave
David W. Garrard, BHS, RRT, RCP, CCEMTP, PNCCT
Program Director and Vice President
AAC - Air Ambulance Caribbean, Inc. D/B/A Flight 4 Life
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI

#9 barkyvonschnauzer

barkyvonschnauzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:37 AM

Back to the original question---to which I say, "who cares"?. C'mon, all we are doing is moving patients from point A to point B. Now we need to introduce records to validate what we do?  Just because we do something by air doesn't really make it more difficult, does it? The correct answer is, "no". "What is the difference between an SCTU and a helicopter?" 1500 feet.

#10 insen...

insen...

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:46 AM

My first thought was why these babies needed transferred?

Did someone drop the ball and fail to ensure these triplets were born in the proper facility?

Or was it an unexpected delivery?

Just curious...and I'm glad it wasn't me.
"Miserere stultus qui dicit latin." Contemporary French Linguist Insenescence

#11 kidsrrtnps

kidsrrtnps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:50 AM

We have had multiple babies under the 400g mark. From what I can remember in the past 8 years, the smallest we have had to survive was between 310-330grams. All of our NICU babies are transported since we don't have an L and D at our peds hospital.

#12 kidsrrtnps

kidsrrtnps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:59 AM

From what I could find, the smallest surving infant was 243.8 grams.. . Here is a link...http://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/tiniestbabies/viewrefs.asp?Infant_id_no=67

#13 kidsrrtnps

kidsrrtnps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:02 AM

http://images.google...htt...v=2&hl=en

#14 kidsrrtnps

kidsrrtnps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:03 AM

one more!

http://images.google...htt...l=en&sa=X

#15 FlightRN4911

FlightRN4911

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:04 AM

Yes, unexpected. Mom abrupted. We tried to make it there to assist with the delivery but no luck.