#1 OKANG FN

OKANG FN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:31 AM

Hey all,

Glad to see the forum up and running.

I'm a flight nurse with the Oklahoma Air National Guard. I've been flying AE for four years. Looks like I'll be getting ready for my fourth deployment soon. Awesome experience!

SickPuppy...I'm looking for some info on USAFR/ANG CCATT units. Specifically, anything on current manning needs. I tried the USAFSAM site but couldn't find any relevant info. I'm considering crossing over to your side of the AE world, just wondering if there are spots available and where.

Take care over there.

#2 SickPuppy

SickPuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:57 AM

Hey all,

I'm a flight nurse with the Oklahoma Air National Guard. I've been flying AE for four years. Looks like I'll be getting ready for my fourth deployment soon. Awesome experience!

SickPuppy...I'm looking for some info on USAFR/ANG CCATT units. Specifically, anything on current manning needs. I tried the USAFSAM site but couldn't find any relevant info. I'm considering crossing over to your side of the AE world, just wondering if there are spots available and where.

Take care over there.

Thanks. I have this wierd lead allergy, so I'll have to be careful.

As for CCATT slots, the best I can recommend is to look for an ASTS (which are reserve squadrons) somewhere close by. I do know there is an ASTS (with CCATT) at Scott AFB, which is just outside St. Louis. There may be one at Lackland. I don't know how close those are to you (you're probably looking at 400-500 miles). It isn't impossible- I used to do that once a month, and it was a PITA, but not too bad overall. There may also be something at Little Rock, but that's just a WAG on my part. Good luck- CCATT is really cool, but damn hard to get deployments as a reservist (at least right now).
Take care
Tom
"Education is only the further realization of your own ignorance." Albert Einstein

GO GATORS!!!

#3 lostmedic

lostmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

Thanks. I have this wierd lead allergy, so I'll have to be careful.

As for CCATT slots, the best I can recommend is to look for an ASTS (which are reserve squadrons) somewhere close by. I do know there is an ASTS (with CCATT) at Scott AFB, which is just outside St. Louis. There may be one at Lackland. I don't know how close those are to you (you're probably looking at 400-500 miles). It isn't impossible- I used to do that once a month, and it was a PITA, but not too bad overall. There may also be something at Little Rock, but that's just a WAG on my part. Good luck- CCATT is really cool, but damn hard to get deployments as a reservist (at least right now).
Take care
Tom

good luck on finding a billet in CCATT. I contemplated jumping ship, and trying to do the Air Force thing. I decieded not to. I have the same lead allergy as SickPuppy. :-)
Morgan

#4 BadPieces

BadPieces

Advanced Member

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:23 PM

Hey all,

Take care over there.

Hola, I would say to start using an alpha roster of different ASTS's, contacting the Chief Nurse and acertaining if any CCAT slots are avilable or will be coming available in the future. Additionally, CCAT teams are not always assigned to ASTS's, some Med Groups and MASF units have CCAT contingents. I did AE for 8 years as an AET then 5 as an FN once I became a nurse, then switched over to CCAT because I thought it would be cool to FINALLY not have to worry about all the rules and regulations governing Flight Status.....but I was wrong. CCAT's probably not what you think. You know how AE has traditionally been treated like "walk on cargo" by the front enders?...u aint seen nothin yet. And don't even get me started on CDT and max FDP's...yeah, cuz they don't exist in CCAT. If you are looking to "step up your game" and do the next level from AE (aka flying med surg), my advice would be to get into a civilian Trauma Center/ER and then try to do as many eductaional classes as you can on managing a ventillated pt and critical care theories and avoid CCAT. Civilian Flight Nursing is way gnarlier...trust me
RN, NREMT-P, X, Y, Z

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in a world they have been given than to explore the power they have to change it." -Richard Bullock

#5 OKANG FN

OKANG FN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:51 PM

BadPieces,

Thanks for the info…I’m just looking at different avenues to take for a couple of reasons. BRAC hit us hard and took away our 130’s, we’re converting to 135’s and the process is going to be PAINFUL at best. Initially, I had a lot of uncertainty if it was even going to work. Also, the flying med/surg comment is being kind…after flying 4 months of routine pts during my last deployment it became kind of boring. Location/timing plays a big part in that I guess.

I understand and agree with your comments about the way CCATT is treated. In my eyes they are the ones that make AE what it is though. I just direct traffic most of the time and listen to the front end complain about the “MEDPAX” (their term for AE).

I’m not downing AE at all. I like deploying and taking care of the pts regardless of why they are on the plane. The experiences have been great and every deployment has a mission or two that really stand out. Especially the flights back to CONUS from the AOR…very humbling.

Everyone, thanks again for all the words of wisdom…

Chris

Hola, I would say to start using an alpha roster of different ASTS's, contacting the Chief Nurse and acertaining if any CCAT slots are avilable or will be coming available in the future. Additionally, CCAT teams are not always assigned to ASTS's, some Med Groups and MASF units have CCAT contingents. I did AE for 8 years as an AET then 5 as an FN once I became a nurse, then switched over to CCAT because I thought it would be cool to FINALLY not have to worry about all the rules and regulations governing Flight Status.....but I was wrong. CCAT's probably not what you think. You know how AE has traditionally been treated like "walk on cargo" by the front enders?...u aint seen nothin yet. And don't even get me started on CDT and max FDP's...yeah, cuz they don't exist in CCAT. If you are looking to "step up your game" and do the next level from AE (aka flying med surg), my advice would be to get into a civilian Trauma Center/ER and then try to do as many eductaional classes as you can on managing a ventillated pt and critical care theories and avoid CCAT. Civilian Flight Nursing is way gnarlier...trust me

#6 BadPieces

BadPieces

Advanced Member

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:41 AM

Hi OKANG,

No worries, I hear your pain.

Wow, conversion to a KC-135 huh? Don't be too aprehensive, they aren't all that bad. I started out on C-141s, then did C-17's at McChord and then C-130's during the invasion then 135's at Travis..and If you can learn to appreciate what each weapons system can bring to the table it's a little easier to swallow. Besides we are all "Universal Qual'd" now :rolleyes: Personally, I really enjoyed tac-evac over strat-evac so the 130 was my fav (which I'm sure you can relate to being a tac-evac guy yourself). Others tend to like the cadillac feel of the 17. But, 135's are not bad A/C's...in fact they are actually pretty comfortable (dark as a bat cave..but temp moderation was very easy) and they are unique in that they aren't designed for AE (sorry, not trying to insult you by stating this) so you don't have those enormous pt loads that you might have on a 130 or 17 (if you've done a 30+ pt load, you know what I mean). Plus, everything is configured on a patient support pallet (PSP) and they are actually pretty cush.

But again, I hear ya..at least CCATT would allow you to focus on your patient and the aerospace phys we all enjoyed learning about at Brooks instead of juggling your time handing out boxed nasties with the loadmaster, doing MCD paperwork, trip segments (arrrghhh), baggage tags and on/off loading litter pt's until you can't feel your hands anymore...

I wish you the very best of luck in trying to find your niche.

BadPieces,

Thanks for the info…I’m just looking at different avenues to take for a couple of reasons. BRAC hit us hard and took away our 130’s, we’re converting to 135’s and the process is going to be PAINFUL at best. Initially, I had a lot of uncertainty if it was even going to work. Also, the flying med/surg comment is being kind…after flying 4 months of routine pts during my last deployment it became kind of boring. Location/timing plays a big part in that I guess.

I understand and agree with your comments about the way CCATT is treated. In my eyes they are the ones that make AE what it is though. I just direct traffic most of the time and listen to the front end complain about the “MEDPAX” (their term for AE).

I’m not downing AE at all. I like deploying and taking care of the pts regardless of why they are on the plane. The experiences have been great and every deployment has a mission or two that really stand out. Especially the flights back to CONUS from the AOR…very humbling.

Everyone, thanks again for all the words of wisdom…

Chris

RN, NREMT-P, X, Y, Z

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in a world they have been given than to explore the power they have to change it." -Richard Bullock

#7 cptchrisrn

cptchrisrn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:20 AM

OKANG FN,

First of all- if I'm interpreting your initials correctly, tell Danette B that Chris from Germany says hi. She should remember her favorite med tech.
But onto your question- I know Wyoming Guard has a CCATT slot, and there is a rumor that the Air Force Reserve is starting up an A/E unit down in Colorado Springs. Don't know about CCATT though.
Seems like this is the trend for FNs- crossing over to the CCATT side. I just want to get back to taking care of sick patients. Good luck!

#8 OKANG FN

OKANG FN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:06 AM

I will pass along your message next time I see her.

Totally agree with your post on another thread r/t the low acuity pts we get on the plane and punting everything to CCATT...I think we abuse those guys with sometimes.

Chris

OKANG FN,

First of all- if I'm interpreting your initials correctly, tell Danette B that Chris from Germany says hi. She should remember her favorite med tech.
But onto your question- I know Wyoming Guard has a CCATT slot, and there is a rumor that the Air Force Reserve is starting up an A/E unit down in Colorado Springs. Don't know about CCATT though.
Seems like this is the trend for FNs- crossing over to the CCATT side. I just want to get back to taking care of sick patients. Good luck!