4 replies to this topic

#1 OutWest

OutWest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hello all,
This question was posted on another nursing website and a suggestion was made to post the question here. I have to compliment the website moderators here at FlightWeb. After looking around your site, I am impressed with the information available.

My question:
I have recently accepted a new position as an RN on a ground transport team (critical care transport ambulance). My prior position was as a staff RN in a hospital that gave us excellent pay and benefits. An existing, privately owned, transport company expanded into our area about 4 months ago and approached me about hiring on with them when they were staffing the new station. When I (and two other RN's) accepted this new position, a lot of promises were made regarding education opportunities and compensation package (pay and benefits). The reality now is that the company is backing off on most of the promises after we have committed ourselves to working for this company. They are now reluctant to pay for any CE's or recerts and have taken the promised "after probation" pay raises and health insurance off the table. They also have withdrawn vacation and retirement benefits. Myself and the other RN's on our service are becoming frustrated with this.

My main question is how your pay as a transport nurse compares to working as staff in a hospital. I calculate that I took a 30% pay cut plus loss of benefits (no health insurance, vacation time or retirement). Is this normal for the transport positions?

Thanks in advance for any advice or information.

#2 Mike MacKinnon

Mike MacKinnon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:20 PM

Hey

First, Quit. This company is obviously a bunch of liars.

Second, I know new grad RNs in the hospital who made as much as I did in HEMS. At the top end of the payscale where I was it was still 2-3$ less than the hospital per hour plus the benefits are generally not as good.

Sadly, this has occurred because of the popularity of the job. It is all supply and demand. Alot of people apply for HEMS jobs and (since the industry has dumbed down their hiring policies) the supply is often greater than demand. In companies where they have kept high hiring policies they are often finding it hard to get qualified applicants and either are forced to pay more or lower standards.

Sad but that is what it has come to.
Mike MacKinnon MSN CRNA
WWW.NURSE-ANESTHESIA.ORG

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know
It's what we know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

#3 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:17 PM

I would quit ASAP. I would never work for a company that lied to me so overtly. I would also never work for one that required me to take a 30% pay cut and didn't provide good insurance and vacation benefits.

As Mike said, transport jobs tend to pay less because there is no shortage of applicants. Many places seem not to place any premium on experience or qualifications.

However, there are many positions that wouldn't require as much of a pay cut as you took, and every place I've ever looked into at least offered basic healthcare insurance and paid time off.
bring it in for the real thing

#4 Parapupp1008

Parapupp1008

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:11 PM

I don't know that I would just walk in and quit. What I would do however is offer them an ultimatem with a deadline to meet their promises. I am not an RN but my wife is and a 30% cut in pay without receiving benefits to offset the loss just does not seem like a very good move. I would give them the deadline and then leave. It always makes you look better to prospective employers that you were the better person and not hot headed.
Do the right thing even when no one is looking because someone is always watching.

#5 OutWest

OutWest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the reply's. The RN's on our staff have been discussing this and I just wanted to throw out for some ideas. We are new to the transport industry, all having hospital backgrounds. Most of us left some fairly toxic work environments and have found the autonomy in the back of the bus to be refreshing. We all came into nursing with EMS backgrounds (public, not private agency). I think most of us were seeing some burnout with nursing prior to this job. We are trying to figure some way to approach the situation in a positive manner. We all like this job, just not the pay/benefit package. We expected lower pay, but not to the extent it has turned out to be.