FlightWeb Forums: Anyone Use Hospira "gemstar" Infusion Pumps. - FlightWeb Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone Use Hospira "gemstar" Infusion Pumps.

#1 User is offline   celtic-rn 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

Hello to all,
We are currently trialling the Hospira"Gemstar" mini infusion pumps and I was wondering if anyone else out there uses them in rotor wing transport? We were using the Baxter syringe pumps but these are getting harder to repair. We are looking to see if there are any specific problems we should watch out for. So far so good, but we don't want to go with them and end up with a bigger problem! :rolleyes: Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

#2 User is offline   NC FltMedic 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:00 PM

did a brief trial on them about 2 years ago... I actually liked them!! size was great, and they weigh a hell of a lot less than a bag full of Baxter Syringe pumps!!! only used them a few times, so my opinion would likely be skewed... didn't hear about any problems with them from other colleagues who have utilized them... do they make them in anything larger than a single channel?
Ryan Jordan, NREMTP, FP-C

#3 User is offline   Tmed725 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:13 PM

We have used them for about 2 years now, we 2 had difficulty with keeping the as40's and 50's alive. Two things to look out for, 1) The batteries last a long time when pumping and being used on a regular basis but if you let them sit in the machine for a long time (weeks) they may be dead when you go to use them next. The solution is simple keep batteries in your bag, worst case scenario use the batteries out of 2 alfa pagers:) 2) If you pull the pump set out before you turn it off it will alarm and not let you turn it off. Keep a used caste on your stethoscope (cut one out of the syringe set and put the one end of the tubing into the leuer port to create a ring) and when you forget in the heat of the moment you don't have to go trash diving for the old caste.. We have dropped them kicked them and they keep on going, unlike the old as40's with the check syringe alarm. Another tip you can use a reusable Velcro strap or tourniquet to secure the bag to the pump t keep things neat..

Fly safe

#4 User is offline   buffettrn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:59 PM

View PostTmed725, on Aug 27 2007, 08:13 AM, said:

If you pull the pump set out before you turn it off it will alarm and not let you turn it off. Keep a used caste on your stethoscope (cut one out of the syringe set and put the one end of the tubing into the leuer port to create a ring) and when you forget in the heat of the moment you don't have to go trash diving for the old caste..

This is the best bit of information. I think we are connected. We use them and they do take a bit of abuse.
Spare batteries are a must (I have two die on me today) just keep them in the bad with the pumps or tubing.
I always seem to have trouble priming the full sets from an IV bag but the prime function works great just takes a minute or two. Make sure you get all the air out of the IV bag the air sensory can be very sensitive.
Jeff Fein
"We are right, they are wrong, END OF STORY"

#5 User is offline   Tmed725 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:59 PM

Yo Jeff
I was suprised when I saw that you had not posted on this one.
Dave

#6 User is offline   celtic-rn 

• PipPip

Post icon  Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:24 PM

Thanks guys for your input, I am advising our team to carry an extra cassette on their person in case they accidentally pull out the cassette before turning off the pump. We will certain address the battery issue. Tracey :D

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic