• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Randy L

Randy L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:43 AM

We have just released to industry our next RFP for rotary wing aircraft. One of the criteria in the RFP is for the aircraft to have a stretcher system that is capable of transporting the patient to and from the aircraft without the assistance of ground EMS. What we are looking for is the stretcher system that is commonly used on the BK's and EC 135/45 aircraft. One of our current vendors who operate S76 have asked for information on systems using S76 aircraft with a similar stretcher system. We know that Ornge in Ontario uses a modified Ferno ground ambulance stretcher. Are there any programs that operate the S76 with a similar system that could share their information? We want to ensure the operator has as much information as possible so they can make informed decisions on bidding with the S76 or changing to a different aircraft type.

Thanks for any help on this.
Fly safe

Randy L'Heureux
BC Ambulance
Airevac Program

#2 Medic65

Medic65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:35 PM

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but don't you need FAA approval if you are going to "modify" something like that in the aircraft?

I believe Geisinger Life Flight has something similar to what you are talking about for their S76, but I am not positive. In my area, there are 4 different services that are subject to be on scene, and I don't recall ever seeing it from anyone else. I am not fully familiar with what you are talking about, but i get the idea.

You are basically looking for something where you can just take out the stretcher, and push it into the aircraft like the folding legs on Ferno's? Quite frankly, it seems like a good idea to do something like this. Although I do not work off HEMS, so I can't fully comment due to lack of knowledge, but my guess would be for a reason why it's not done, would be space.

#3 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:45 PM

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but don't you need FAA approval if you are going to "modify" something like that in the aircraft?

I believe Geisinger Life Flight has something similar to what you are talking about for their S76, but I am not positive. In my area, there are 4 different services that are subject to be on scene, and I don't recall ever seeing it from anyone else. I am not fully familiar with what you are talking about, but i get the idea.

You are basically looking for something where you can just take out the stretcher, and push it into the aircraft like the folding legs on Ferno's? Quite frankly, it seems like a good idea to do something like this. Although I do not work off HEMS, so I can't fully comment due to lack of knowledge, but my guess would be for a reason why it's not done, would be space.

Faa has no jurisdiction B) but TC does . . . and while you are right regarding anything fixed in the aircraft, the stretcher itself is not covered by an STC since it is a removeable item (in the case of the S-76 system Randy refers to and ORNGE uses). They have a spacer about 8' tall that fits between the upper and lower parts of the stretcher (standard ground cot) to raise to the correct height. Then the upper portion is hard clamped to the bottom on either side and the whole thing gets secured to the floor by multiple brackets/cargo straps.
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#4 Randy L

Randy L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

Faa has no jurisdiction B) but TC does . . . and while you are right regarding anything fixed in the aircraft, the stretcher itself is not covered by an STC since it is a removeable item (in the case of the S-76 system Randy refers to and ORNGE uses). They have a spacer about 8' tall that fits between the upper and lower parts of the stretcher (standard ground cot) to raise to the correct height. Then the upper portion is hard clamped to the bottom on either side and the whole thing gets secured to the floor by multiple brackets/cargo straps.

#5 Randy L

Randy L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback Medic 65 and Mc. Different rules in Canada and for our current operator a very big departure from the current system that they use. It will be interesting to see what is offered.

Fly safe

#6 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback Medic 65 and Mc. Different rules in Canada and for our current operator a very big departure from the current system that they use. It will be interesting to see what is offered.

Fly safe

Did you try contacting JLP on this site? He may be able to send pics of the ORNGE set-up.
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#7 Wes@ACH

Wes@ACH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

We have just released to industry our next RFP for rotary wing aircraft. One of the criteria in the RFP is for the aircraft to have a stretcher system that is capable of transporting the patient to and from the aircraft without the assistance of ground EMS. What we are looking for is the stretcher system that is commonly used on the BK's and EC 135/45 aircraft. One of our current vendors who operate S76 have asked for information on systems using S76 aircraft with a similar stretcher system. We know that Ornge in Ontario uses a modified Ferno ground ambulance stretcher. Are there any programs that operate the S76 with a similar system that could share their information? We want to ensure the operator has as much information as possible so they can make informed decisions on bidding with the S76 or changing to a different aircraft type.

Thanks for any help on this.
Fly safe

Randy L'Heureux
BC Ambulance
Airevac Program

We used to have a ferno based stretcher system in our previous S-76. PHI put the system together for us. I beleive they have the STC for the system as well. PHI is no longer our vendor, so I don't know what they are putting in S-76s now.

#8 JLP

JLP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:18 PM

The Ornge securing system is under patent by the company that built it and Ornge itself, so....I can point you to the right people to talk to about getting specs and diagrams but can't send you that myself without approval. Let me know if you'd like to start that process, I'm sure it isn't a quick one.

#9 Randy L

Randy L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 02:07 AM

We used to have a ferno based stretcher system in our previous S-76. PHI put the system together for us. I beleive they have the STC for the system as well. PHI is no longer our vendor, so I don't know what they are putting in S-76s now.

#10 Randy L

Randy L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 02:07 AM

Thanks very much. We will provide our proponents with this information.