12 replies to this topic

#1 ksflytmedic

ksflytmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:36 PM

Just wondering what kind of cell phones are being carried? I'm thinking of upgrading my current phone to a smart phone but don't really know anything about them. If you could tell what type of phone you have, it pros and cons; and for those with smart phones, what reference programs do you have one them and which do you use most.

Thanks everyone in advanced.

Fly Safe.
J. Luck NREMTP, CCEMTP

#2 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:47 AM

I don't know a ton about PDA phones, but I did own a blackberry pearl for about 3 days. It was kind of cool, but I didn't feel it was user-friendly.

I recently looked at the new Palm Centro and it looks pretty slick. Compact, but lots of features and seemed easy to use.
bring it in for the real thing

#3 Mike MacKinnon

Mike MacKinnon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:17 AM

I love my iphone to death. When the new one strikes, july 11th ill have one of them. With all the apps starting now for it.. well... it will be twice as awesome (even tho i had my old one hacked with apps)
Mike MacKinnon MSN CRNA
WWW.NURSE-ANESTHESIA.ORG

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know
It's what we know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

#4 ksflytmedic

ksflytmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:38 AM

One of our Nurses has an iPhone and it looked pretty neat. Unfortunately, my current carrier does not have access to the iPhone and I don't think that the carrier that does have it has very good coverage up here. I've heard that motorola has a new one coming out and am waiting to see what they have to offer , their phones seem to have pretty good cover out here. Blackberry's look pretty nice but I don't know much about them. Thanks for the replies and keep them coming

Mike can you tell me more about the apps that you had on your phone?
J. Luck NREMTP, CCEMTP

#5 Mike MacKinnon

Mike MacKinnon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

hey J

I had a number of apps but to give you an idea here are some links:

http://www.epocrates...CFRKhxgodUxbvXg

http://weblogs.elear...ves/046814.html

There are alot more coming with the recent release of the sdk and the opening of the app store on itunes july 11th
Mike MacKinnon MSN CRNA
WWW.NURSE-ANESTHESIA.ORG

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know
It's what we know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

#6 NC FltMedic

NC FltMedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:59 PM

I have a Palm Treo 700p and absolutely love it... I can keep all my databases on it, have internet access, and a few games to play on the way back from long flights... I'm debating whether or not to upgrade to the 755p.. anyone have it? suggestions?
Ryan Jordan, NREMTP, FP-C

#7 safltrn

safltrn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:24 PM

I have a Palm Treo 700p and absolutely love it... I can keep all my databases on it, have internet access, and a few games to play on the way back from long flights... I'm debating whether or not to upgrade to the 755p.. anyone have it? suggestions?

I have the Palm Treo 755p and its a great phone. Lots of space to save all sorts of data and utilise many different applications. Have not had any issues with it as yet. Many of my colleagues have switched to it from their other phones. We've all bought Will Wingfield's ResQshop application and it works great on this phone. Definitely a phone I'll recommend if you are looking to upgrade.
Andrew Veitch CFRN

#8 medic4cqb

medic4cqb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:28 AM

I've got the Blackberry Curve and love it to death, but does anyone know of any program avaible for it to enchance apps or any apps at all?

Steve A., RN, CCRN, EMT-P

"The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness..."
- Bruce Lee

#9 Gila

Gila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:00 AM

In addition to the iPhone, I think the SDK non web based apps will work with the iPod touch. As I understand, iPhone users will not have to pay for the OS upgrade; however, iPod owners will. I find this to be an interesting development. I currently have an iPod touch, and having access to non web based apps could essentially turn my iPod into a PDA?

Medic4cqb: check out the Handango web site. I know they have apps that will run on RIM based devices.
Christopher Bare
"Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo "

#10 NC FltMedic

NC FltMedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

I had thought about upgrading to the Blackberry Curve, but am hesitant for a few reasons.. the main one is the vast programs I have on my Treo that are all Palm based... I have Will's ResQshop on it as well and have transferred it between my old 650 to the 700.. Are there any programs out there that could change the data format from Palm OS to be compatible with Blackberry?
Ryan Jordan, NREMTP, FP-C

#11 Gila

Gila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:22 AM

None that I am aware of. I think Skyscape has medical software that RIM produced devices can use. I am not sure how difficult or prohibitive it is for software designers to write programs that work on other OS'. I would think somebody could stand to make some money if a ResQshop program or ResQshop like program was produced for Blackberry and iPhone/iPod touch devices?
Christopher Bare
"Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo "

#12 Will Wingfield

Will Wingfield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:40 AM

If anyone out there has the iPhone developers SDK and knows how to use it, I'd be happy to discuss a joint venture converting ResQShop. I just don't have the time to learn another coding platform/language right now.

WW
William Wingfield, CRNA, MSNA, FP-C, CFRN
Owner/Educator
The ResQ Shop, LLC

#13 Michael Collins

Michael Collins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:10 AM

I'm a big fan of having a smartphone or PDA as a resource with you.
Epocrates is nice, as is Thomson ClinicalXPert if your facility has a subscription to Micromedex.
I use Windows Mobile. Pocket Excel is also a nice tool, I use it to keep track of door codes and have a small spreadsheet that calculates low pressure O2 delivery for LTV ventilators. I also use it to double check my calculations, especially when I'm mixing fluids for a metabolic patient.
All of this works without an active network connection, which I usually won't have availble. Epocrates on iPhone only works while under network coverage (for now).