22 replies to this topic

#21 wishes139

wishes139

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

Sarah,

I feel the same thing at times, when I explain my Comm Spec job to people. The first question I often get is along the lines of, "What is it like to fly?" or "Oh, you're a pilot? That's so cool!" That "coolness" seems to disappear, however, when they find out the truth of my groundling status. Even with some EMS professionals I see at conferences (I still maintain my EMT certs), my stock tends to drop a few notches when they learn I'm "just a dispatcher."

On a side note, I also run into a lot of people who think everything our aircraft respond to is a motor vehicle accident. That one I chalk up to being practically the only time our operations are seen in the news media. A few EMS folks have even asked me if we get all our info from police scanners. I do my best to explain the actual flight request procedures, but a few times it hasn't gotten through. Just have to keep chipping away at it!

Patrick

Finally,

A fellow EMT Comm Spec who knows how I feel. Been beaten and bruised on the other forums, other Sight's . They just don't understand what I do.

#22 wishes139

wishes139

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:03 PM

Just wondering, Mike, you said that you get a patient page and then check weather. Is this the norm? When we are yellow, our pilots do not know the patient type until after they have checked weather and said yes. We don't want the sick peds/scene/etc to affect pilot's decision regarding weather.

Just wondering if this was the same everywhere.

Weather Status could be Green, we accpt, Yellow we check weather. ALL flights reguardless of weather status will be dispatch to the following format:

Scene flight request Anytown, Red county, 12 state
xz miles heading of 360 degrees
for a truama/medical
Scene flight request Anytown, Red county, 12 state
xz miles heading of 360 degrees
for a truama/medical
EMS 12 ground contact
Corrdinates when your ready to copy
time of dispatch 0200

Transfer request from abc to Xyz
xy miles heading of 360 degree's
Transfer request from abc to Xyz
xy miles heading of 360 degree's
patient weight 100 kilograms
patient located in ICU bed 3
time of dispatch 0230

Its a mouthfull but it covers our basis..

#23 sstull

sstull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:11 PM

We are notified by MedCom via landline call to pilot at base. If flight is accepted then we get a the 1st text page with flight release #, run #, run type (scene, intrehospital), requesting agency, and hospital we are returning to. 2nd text page has PT. info and contact info for ground contact.