• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ojames

ojames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:50 AM

Once upon a time, I was told that there was a CAMTS temperature paramater of 50 to 70 degF for the storage of drugs aboard aircraft. If so, could someone please direct me to the supporting regulation or documentation. Thanks !!!!!

#2 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:19 AM

I'm not sure if it's a CAMTS standard or not but, I do know if you look at the drug information insert that comes with the drug it will give you the required temperature for storage which is in the ranges you mentioned.

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center

#3 admin

admin

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:53 PM

Very interesting topic. Actually, the temperature range is much more narrow. - (68F - 77F)

CAMTS just says that medications must be stored to protect from temperature extremes. JCAHO says that medications musts be stored under conditions to maintain stability. Some states apparently have more stringent requirements on this issue as well. So the temperature range comes from what the manufacturers recommend, which for most medications is storage at controlled room temperature.

Controlled room temperature is defined by the U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP) as, "A temperature maintained thermostatically that encompasses the usual and customary working environment of 20 to 25 C (68 - 77 F) that allows for brief deviations between 15 - 30 C (59 - 86 F) that are experienced in pharmacies, hospitals, and warehouses."

Quite a bit of research has been done in the area of EMS and medication storage. Here are a couple articles on this topic for those interested:

Out-of-hospital medication storage temperatures: a review of the literature and directions for the future.
Medication Storage in the EMS Environment: Understanding the Science and Meeting the Standards

CAMTS Standard - 7th Ed.
Storage of medications allows for protection from extreme temperature changes if environment deems it necessary.	 
RW/FW/G

JCAHO
Medication Refrigerator Temperature Logs

Q:  Are we required to maintain temperature logs for medication storage refrigerators and freezers?

A:  Joint Commission does not specifically require temperature logs for refrigerators and freezers used for medication storage. Standard MM.2.20 requires that medications be stored under necessary conditions to ensure stability. EC.6.10 additionally requires that you describe and implement processes to maintain and monitor equipment performance. If your organization chooses to use temperature monitoring to achieve this, the monitoring method must track temperature in an ongoing fashion to indicate whether or not internal temperature has deviated from the required ranges for all drugs stored. In addition, the organization should have a defined process outlining disposition of medication from a refrigerator or freezer which has deviated from the recommended temperature range.

Rollie Parrish
FlightWeb Webmaster

#4 Sacmedic

Sacmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:04 AM

I work PRN for a JCAHO regulated, hospital-based ground company. Believe me...JCAHO is now making this an issue for us as well. We're now looking at having to find a temp controlled device for our van ambulances. I have no idea where we will put it. Anyone using such a device in van units? Thanks...
Clayton Thomas, EMT-P

#5 micsmedic

micsmedic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:49 PM

I work PRN for a JCAHO regulated, hospital-based ground company. Believe me...JCAHO is now making this an issue for us as well. We're now looking at having to find a temp controlled device for our van ambulances. I have no idea where we will put it. Anyone using such a device in van units? Thanks...

Sacmedic
I work FW and we have the Easy log USB. It is a small temp probe that we place in our medication bag which is kept secured in our crew van in a secured garage. It takes a temp sample every 30 min and we pull the data monthly for review. Once you can determine what your actual temps are and you can identfy times and situations in which they fall out of your set parameters you can then figure out what to do about it. It is a very nice device and easy to use. Thanks
Shannon

#6 Sacmedic

Sacmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:47 AM

Sacmedic
I work FW and we have the Easy log USB. It is a small temp probe that we place in our medication bag which is kept secured in our crew van in a secured garage. It takes a temp sample every 30 min and we pull the data monthly for review. Once you can determine what your actual temps are and you can identfy times and situations in which they fall out of your set parameters you can then figure out what to do about it. It is a very nice device and easy to use. Thanks
Shannon

Shannon,

Thanks for the reply! Since my last post on this we have come to a similar resolution. Our med bags now have a thermometer in them that is wireless. We take readings every four hours and the base for the thermometer at the station allows us to check the temp from the crew quarters without going out to the rigs. :) When in service we check the temp manually and log it. While I don't think every four hours is often enough, it's better than nothing. :mellow: Our next rigs will have built-in temp control areas for the meds. Thanks again for your solution!

Peace

Clayton
Clayton Thomas, EMT-P