• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 popbob

popbob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:25 PM

I currently am working at a Level 1 trauma ICU. The reason I got into nursing was to fly. However, at my facility we have a very small flight team so flying was probaly not going to happen anytime soon. I have spoken to an Air Force recruiter and she can offer me a commisson as a FN officer. I was curious as to what types of pts. I will transporting. From my understanding these are pretty much stable with not much action. I may be wrong. I know there are the CCATT which sounds alot more interesting but I dont what type of requirements are needed. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#2 SickPuppy

SickPuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:57 AM

As a FN, you will be transporting STABLE pts. Flight Nursing in the AF is very much like med-surg nursing at 28,000 ft. You will be very limited in your scope of practice. One positive is you will get to travel and see some cool places.

CCATT is a different animal. You will take care of STABALIZED pts (the bleeding has been stopped). There is much less opportunities to see cool places, but you work in a small team (MD, RN, RT or CRNA) and can do much more than a FN can. You won't be considered aircrew, so you won't get the benifits that flight crews get unless you are deployed and flying real world missions, but it is much more of a challange. They are both rewarding; it just depends on what your preferences are.

I am currently a CCATT RN who transferred from an AE squadron (I was a FN) after 4 years. I enjoy CCATT more, but I am glad I did the FN thing.
"Education is only the further realization of your own ignorance." Albert Einstein

GO GATORS!!!