4 replies to this topic

#1 Dunkle

Dunkle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

Hey all. We are looking to add NVGs to our setup. Who has the best deal on the best equip? What do you recommend? Good things and bad things? Thanks

#2 Loydster

Loydster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

We get ours through ASU. www.asu-nvg.com ph. 208-426-8117. They provide the required FAA classes, the NVG equipment and required maintance. They also do cockpit modifications for the NVG. They have been a good group of people to work with. We have been with ASU for 4 years.
Our setup is teh pilots have binoculars and both of the medical crew have monoculars. I would suggest getting the mounts for the monoculers. We went with mono for a couple of reasons. Cost, less chance of breakage and Binocs are harder to find with the war going on. You don't really have much other choices. The FAA pretty much tells you what everything else will be. Oh these are ANVIs 9 NVGs. That is the most current NVGs.

#3 JBERGENRN

JBERGENRN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

ASU as well, and I agree with Loydsters comments. Our only difference is two sets binoculars (one the pilot,one med crew).
"you know what I think?, it don't really matter what I think"

#4 USDalum97

USDalum97

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:54 AM

We get ours through ASU. www.asu-nvg.com ph. 208-426-8117. They provide the required FAA classes, the NVG equipment and required maintance. They also do cockpit modifications for the NVG. They have been a good group of people to work with. We have been with ASU for 4 years.
Our setup is teh pilots have binoculars and both of the medical crew have monoculars. I would suggest getting the mounts for the monoculers. We went with mono for a couple of reasons. Cost, less chance of breakage and Binocs are harder to find with the war going on. You don't really have much other choices. The FAA pretty much tells you what everything else will be. Oh these are ANVIs 9 NVGs. That is the most current NVGs.

Loydster,

With the med crew in the back having monoculars, are you able to go to the ground aided or do you have to go unaided at 300'? Also, what type of monoculars are they? Are they still pretty expensive?

We are an AMC base. They got us the goggles. 3 sets, a 4th may be (we hope) on the way. They are expensive, but worth every penny. AMC also provided the ground training for the pilots and med crew. The qualification flights for the med crew can be done by any qualified pilot. It was about a week of OOS time every night for pilot training. Our helicopter received the NVG Mod before we got it from refurb.

#5 Loydster

Loydster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:48 PM

Loydster,

With the med crew in the back having monoculars, are you able to go to the ground aided or do you have to go unaided at 300'? Also, what type of monoculars are they? Are they still pretty expensive?

We are an AMC base. They got us the goggles. 3 sets, a 4th may be (we hope) on the way. They are expensive, but worth every penny. AMC also provided the ground training for the pilots and med crew. The qualification flights for the med crew can be done by any qualified pilot. It was about a week of OOS time every night for pilot training. Our helicopter received the NVG Mod before we got it from refurb.

Yes. We can go to the ground with the crew in the back on monos. . The FAA requires that someone that is CURRENT on a mono or binoc NVG device along with the pilot. If the pilot is teh only CURRENT user than they must flip goggles up at 300' to land. I do not know the model number off hand but they are still ANVIS 9, just half of the binoc set. I'm sure Ray or someone there would tell you what REACH is using from ASU. ASU just came out with a mono mount for around $250.00. We are looking at these now. ASU and the FAA has made one of our pilots certified to teach the NVG ground school and NVG check rides. It was a pain to have ASU come out to one base and every one else had to go to that one base. Sorry but I do not have prices on the monos either. I agree on the cost vs benefit. We now cant believe we ever flew without them.