Flightmed archive for November-2003

Re: ER helicrash

Ok - one last thing (maybe 2)
Don't think that anyone would argue that safety has to be in the forefront of
everything we do. It can happen to you and yours unless we take every step to
prevent it, and even then, sometimes just plain ole bad luck will get you.
But it seems the more we plan and try to do things right, the less bad luck we
will see.
Secondly, as a pilot - the only thing that really bothers me about that
sequence is not the crash ( after all it was just TV) but the questions of "what do
you think caused it". That attitude is too often present after a crash and
most pilots resent it. We don't know what caused any crash untill a full
investigation is complete. Anything else is just speculation, guessing, and unfair to
the crew. The wind sock flipped around - SO? Maybe the pilot had an MI, maybe
there was an engine failure, T/R failure, could be any one of a million
things. The attitude from many that a quick determination can be made from a
cursury and surface look by amateurs is discouraging. I spent a long time in school
learning how to investigate accidents and it is a science. Flame patterns,
structual failure modes, wreckage diagrams, electron scanning microscope
examinations of actuators, engines, and gearboxes, and on and on.
Asking a pilot to comment on that contrived accident would be like me asking
a medical professional to determine the cause of death by watching a patient
collase. Impossible.

The lesson from that show for me? - It reminds me once more that it can
happen to any of us, at any time, for who-knows-what reason. Give someone you love
an extra minute today and tommorrow, a longer bedtime story, an extra hug or
kiss, because our time here is precious and short - sometimes shorter than we
know. Don't waste a minute of it.
but that's just me
Mike