Flightmed archive for November-2003

Re: Flightmed Digest, Vol 2, Issue 19 - risk

Mike,

I think you (and perhaps others) have misinterpreted my post. I didn't mean
to sound as though we should all give up on trying to be safer because we can't
do much better than we are. I do not possess or promote a lackadaisical
attitude when it comes to flight safety or anything else for that matter.

I'll reiterate what I said in my original post: I think that as an industry
we can, should, and WILL do a better job of preventing accidents as time goes
on.

The point that I was originally trying to make was simply that ours IS an
inherently risky profession. Perhaps not as risky or as difficult as some others
you mentioned, but riskier than average nonetheless. I think it's obvious that
even if we did remove all the human error possible from what we do, we would
still probably have an injury and a mortality rate far geater than the
accounting or insurance sales professions, for example. I think that fact is an
important one for us to keep in mind......I don't think we should kid ourselves
into thinking that we can control every variable and take all the risk out of
what we do.

And I do think that for the most part we do a pretty good job. Could we do
better? Like I said before - absolutely we can. But - where I'm from at least -
I think we've got a lot to take pride in, as well.

Allan