Flightmed archive for November-2003

Re: Flightmed Digest, Vol 2, Issue 19

While I certainly agree that our industry can and should a better job in
general in all areas where safety is concerned, I think that we all need to keep
in mind that ours is an inherently risky business, and that's is not going to
change, no matter how many regulations and safeguards we implement.

This is because many - certainly not all, but many - accidents are due to
factors beyond reasonable human control. Unforcast weather, catastrophic
mechanical failures, and plain old human error probably will not be completely cured
anytime soon.

I disagree with the aforementioned assertion that our accident rate should be
no higher than that of the rest of general aviation. While that would
certainly be desirable, the environment that we operate in is simply a riskier one
than that of a corporate scheduled air carrier who only flies IFR between two
controlled and (usually much) improved landing areas.

I think we do a pretty good job for the most part. Can and should we do
better? Yes, of course - and I think that we will. But we need to stop comparing
ourselves to other industries that we have little in common with, and accept the
fact that ours will always be a relatively risky job.

Allan