Flightmed archive for November-2003

Re: EC145

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Dan & Amy Ceresa wrote:

> Hello everybody;
>
>     We will be taking delivery of our EC145 soon from Eurocopter. It
> will then go for it's medical interior. I have worked in BK's in the
> past and have some good ideas. I was wondering if anyone out there has
> some good ideas about the layout of the interior?
> Maybe something unique that is really working well for you, storage
> arrangements, equipment mounts, etc. Pictures would be nice if
> available. Thanks in advance for any input.

Depending on who is doing your completion, you'll probably find that
they've already done most if not all of the work already. You may be
able to slightly modify minor things, but the big items frequently are
already included when they were awarded the completion contract. These
would be things like seating arrangement, patient stretchers, equipment
mounts, avionics and electrical work.  This is partly because everything
needs to be STC'd and partly because the vendor needs to be able to
accurately estimate the expected costs of the completion when they make
the bid.

In other words, it's kind of like ordering off a menu at a restaurant.
Sure, any restaurant has unlimited ingredients and the expertise to
prepare just about any meal, any way you like. But the reality is that
you still have to pick what you want off the menu they give you. A great
example of this is when you see a great equipment mount from some other
flight team but the vendor you're using doesn't offer it.

Being involved in the completion process can be very fun and a great
learning experience. But it can also be frustrating if you want
something that just isn't on the menu.