Re: pain management

Hello All!
     I would avoid toradol. It's just one more thing to carry, and it's not the best thing to give patients with trauma who may go to the OR. It's not known for causing big bleeding problems, but I have had surgeons get a bit peeved when they found out it was given at outlying facilities.
     Narcotics are the best thing to carry, in my opinion. I would avoid demerol and stick with morphine and/or fentanyl. Both are very effective. Morphine also has uses for altering hemodynamics of cardiac patients. The respiratory depressive effects are easily reversed with narcan.

George Simons, RN, MS, FNP-C
Flight Nurse
Life Net Arizona
Tucson, Arizona