Flightmed archive for April-2002

Transporting Obese Patients

Hello Everyone,
I am writing in hopes of obtaining some information regarding the
transportation of severely obese patients who are too large or too heavy
for air transport.  I am a nurse/paramedic with Duke Life Flight in Durham,
NC.  We are currently researching approved and safe methods currently being
used to transport this patient population.  More specifically, I am asking
for any currently accepted ideas with regards to beds, litters, or
stretchers being used as well as any modifications to ambulance interiors
and securing methods for patients in excess of 350+ pounds.  Any
information from other critical care flight and ground transport programs
would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  Amanda Hunt RN/EMT-P (Duke Life
Flight)