Flightmed archive for April-2002

Let's Change the subject here. Our state (Colorado) is moving to 800 MHz
Digital trunked radio (800 DTRS). At this time Wulfsberg is the only
manufacturer that I know of the does 800 DTRS that meets APCO 25
standards. The price is about $45K and the weight is about 50 lbs by the
time you get all done. Now take off you heart monitor, IV pumps and make
the pilot loss a few pounds and you are in good shape. Understand we are
at high altitudes and every ounce counts for what some of our services
do. I have heard of some who used handhelds (UTAH Olympics), but the
same laws that prohibit cellphones will apply to handhelds. Same band,
same technology and 800 DTRS puts out 9 times the power so the
possibility for interference is much greater than cellphones. The other
issue is that our system reuses frequencies to a large extent and
interference is great when you are at higher altitudes and at some point
becomes unusable, the same as cellphones.

So what are people out there doing? CAAMS also has some prohibitions
against cellphones as well for that same reasons as the FCC.

Mark Young
Western RETAC, Colorado