Flightmed archive for April-2002

Re: Higher Level

In many states the State Department of Health or County Goverment agency is the authority to issue liscenses to all levels of EMS Professionals.  A resource to determine this information can be found at www.nremt.org then go to the icon that gives a link to State EMS offices. This would be invaluable for you to find out information in respect to the questions on the EMS side.  In reference to your question on Nurses, it is my understanding that the National League of Nursing and the State Board of Nursing is the oversight authority over nurses.  It is plain to see that the oversight authority are two distinctively separate bodies in government.  There are very few states left that does not use the National Registry of EMT's (NLN equivalent) for testing.  Many states liscense their EMS Professionals to perform duties in accordance with the EMS Blueprint for the Future document.  I hope this answers your question.  If you have any specific questions please feel free to e-mail me directly.

Fly Safe!

Thomas A. Butler, BS, NREMT-P
EMS Education Program Coordinator
Tulsa Technology Center