Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: Turf battles

I was just going to sit back and watch this discussion go on.  But after a few days I decided to jump in as they say.

First of all I do think you need to separate the issue and look at two components.  I always think there is the procedural component and the assessment component.  I still believe that you can teach anybody (even a monkey) to do procedural skills.  I don't a professionally trained provider.  I mean anyone.  With enough training anyone can intubate, put in central lines, distinguish heart patterns, place IO etc.  Those things really don't take rocket science.  It is about learning landmarks, and then practice and currency.

The second and bigger issue is Assessment of your patient and when to do those procedures.  Now can anyone be taught to assess.  I am sure if you are smart enough anyone can be taught to assess the things that are important for any type of transport no matter what is behind your name if you carry the right IQ and if your in this business in the first place you probably do.

I happen to carry a very High IQ (not bragging just stating a fact) I am sure if I went to a few more classes, read a bit more on areas that I am not familiar with I could be a physician, as it is many times I am directing physicians in care anyway after all isn't that part of our job?

We don't fly RRT (unless it is a nitric run) but we run all the ventilators on NICU runs but I am sure that again a year of study etc I could be a RRT.

Anyway what I am trying to get at is that all of our jobs have pieces of others jobs in it.  The point being the law and state regulatory boards usually regulates what each body does or doesn't do.  Doesn't have anything to do with who should, who could, who is smarter or anything.  So to the argument I always say.  If you want to do Doctor things, go back to school and be a doctor,  If you want to be a nurse go back to school Etc.  I know it sounds like a scape goat but the system does and has worked and we all compliment each other.  We all bring something to the table and to the transport environment.  I have know many a nursing assistants that have worked in many a unit that were smarter than many a residents that came through and a lot of time saved patients buts by alerting nurses saying you better stop him because.........  but that still doesn't give that person the license no the authority to be apart of the team because of the law.  The person was the acceptation rather than the rule and this usually is the case

To the original question.  I think orientation really needs to be structured to the individuals learning needs.  I would thing that people would need classes in flight physiology, aircraft safety and orientation, radio communication, ditching, etc, and then look at their experience and go from their.  Some of our people are done in a week, some take longer.  All really depends....

As far as qualifications when do NICU people make the time I can't answer this as we have separate teams at a hospital and they are independent of us.

(reading back now it sounds a little confusing.  Sorry about this.  I just whelped a litter of puppies so am a bit tired)
David Steele
email   dsteele1@mn.rr.com
Vizsla - Dogs - David/Sean Pages
http://home.mn.rr.com/davidasteele1