Flightmed archive for April-2002

Re: stable neonate transports

Wesley,

Agreed. You're also correct in the situation described.
That's all no matter what alphabet soup (EMT to PhD
physician) your doing BLS.

In the transport environment I believe we all start at
the same point. We are called to TRANSPORT the Patient
to a place where ADDITIONAL care is provided. We are not
called to second guess/ treat the Pt. any different than
the initial care provided ( ie who among us has been
called to render tx to a Pt. and then not transport -
 "house call") . An ER nurse put once like this - I
called you to transport the Pt. not second guess the
staff here. Same Nurse is now a flight nurse.

Now before people get upset I'd like to add that we
endeavour to maintain the Pt. at his/her current state
of health or to increase it in a transport environment.

With those "two facts" in mind it seems simple what we
do and why we do it. Ah but the devil is in the details.

Jim Kendrick
Flight Crewperson