Flightmed archive for March-2002

March 3rd release of MERGINET.News!

We're pleased to bring you the latest additions to
MERGINET.News (March 2002 Vol. 7, No. 3).
You can view this issue online at:

http://www.merginet.com/newsroom/

FROM THE EDITORS:
The latest version of MERGINET is now available to you. As we enter the
month of March, MERGINET.News brings you some great reading. In honor of
Women’s History month, we bring you a profile about Shirley McLinden, who
has maintained her NREMT registration for 20 years in Montana, by Mona
Leeson Vanek. A new writer for MERGINET, David L. Rodgers, is introduced
with an excellent article about how to conduct effective patient interviews.
Two reviews are on hand, one by the Arizona fire crew led by popular EMS
speaker, Mike Grill, on the movie “Collateral Damage,” and the other on the
book “The Blood of Strangers,” reviewed by Syd Canan.

Among MERGINET’s regular columnists, we have Mike Taigman, whose review this
month is on the book, “Good to Great.” Valerie DeFrance writes about “The
Forgotten Subject” (safety in the ambulance). Tom Scott wows us with his
in-depth knowledge of Medicare reimbursement, which seems to get more
complex daily. Vic and Vern return with their humorous version of customer
service. And John Becknell looks at leadership in a great column in our
“Management Matters” section.

Speaking of sections, MERGINET.News has renamed some section names to guide
you. “Education Station,” which began two weeks ago, is joined by a new name
for our feature articles, “On the Scene.” Reviews can now be found in
“Reviewer Round-up” and our old category of “Medic Life” has been renamed
“In Touch.” Let us know what you think!

As always, we welcome your comments, concerns, and compliments. We reply to
everyone who writes. Send email to publisher Richard Bilger at
rbilger@merginet.com or to Kate at editor@merginet.com – be in touch!

Welcome to March, 2002!
Kate Dernocoeur, Editor
Laura Bennett-Kimble, Managing Editor

############ GET THE NEW DIGIT FINGER OXIMETER ############
                       Only $333 while supplies last! (retail $395)

Get the new Digit Finger Oximeter from Moore Medical and save $62 when
you use your MERGINET KeyCode: MERi and KeyLetter: M55 at checkout
                   http://www.merginet.com/shopping/digit.shtml

                                            Remember!
    You must use your MERGINET KeyCode's to get this special price!

######################### BUY NOW! ########################

New in this issue!

On the Scene

>> The Patient Interview: Still the Most Important Clinical Tool (03-04-02)
by David L. Rodgers, MA, NREMT-P
Do you have the most essential clinical tool for patient assessment? Despite
all the technological improvements in both hospital and pre-hospital care
over the years, the patient interview is still the prime source of patient
information.
http://www.merginet.com/newsroom/feature-patient_interview.shtml

############ SAVE 10% ON EVERY SALE OVER $100 ############

Save 10% on all orders over $100 and get FREE shipping!
Use MERGINET KeyCode: MERi and KeyLetter: M55 at checkout
http://www.mooremedical.com/index.cfm?PG=Homepage&CS=MER&A=AFFMER

##################### SAVE MONEY NOW! #####################

In Touch

>> Volunteer Shirley McLinden: Still Dedicated After All These Years
(03-04-02)
by Mona Vanek
Recently, volunteer emergency responder Shirley McLinden received a framed
certificate recognizing maintenance of her National Registry of Emergency
Medical Technician's (NREMT) registration for 20 consecutive years. In this
profile, her experiences and opinions reveal what it takes to be a rural
volunteer EMT.
http://www.merginet.com/newsroom/intouch-mclinden.shtml

>> Runnin' Red: Five-Star of Life EMS (03-04-02)
by Vic & Vern
Vic and Vern, cutting edge innovators that they are, take on a concept
that's evidently new to them: customer service. Read what these humorists
have to say about treating patients like they actually matter.
http://www.merginet.com/newsroom/vic-vern-0203.shtml

Education Station

>> The Forgotten Subject (03-04-02)
by Valerie DeFrance, NREMT-P, EMS I/C
Ambulance safety is the least-covered subject in initial EMT courses. Read
what educators can do to plant driving safety in the minds of rookies before
turning them loose on the streets.
http://www.merginet.com/newsroom/educators2-0203.shtml

Reviewer's Roundup
>> Movie Review: Collateral Damage (03-04-02)
by Mike Grill, with the assistance of Dave Wilcox, Ted Ramage,
and Robbie Nieuwenhuis
Four emergency workers review Arnold Schwarzenegger's new movie Collateral
Damage, an action thriller depicting the exploits of a firefighter. How
close is it to reality?
http://www.merginet.com/newsroom/review3-0203.shtml

>> Book Review: The Blood of Strangers: Stories from Emergency Medicine
(03-04-02)
by Syd Canan
We all know the difference between what we tell our in-laws versus what we
tell our colleagues about the same emergency services incident. So what does
medical doctor Frank Huyler have to say about emergency medicine in his
mainstream book, The Blood of Strangers: Stories from Emergency Medicine?
http://www.merginet.com/newsroom/review2-0203.shtml

>> Book Review: Good to Great (03-04-02)
by Mike Taigman
Can a good company become a great company? Read what author Jim Collins
learned in this review of his book, Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make
the Leap...and Others Don't.
http://www.merginet.com/newsroom/review-0203.shtml

Management Matters

>> New Medicare Ambulance Fee Schedule — Part I (03-04-02)
by Tom Scott
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has published the Final
Rule implementing the new Fee Schedule beginning April 1, 2002. How will
this affect your service?
http://www.merginet.com/newsroom/scott-0203.shtml

>> Leaders Need Followers (03-04-02)
by John M. Becknell
What exactly does it take to be a great leader? For starters, you need
followers, according to leadership consultant Warren Blank.
http://www.merginet.com/newsroom/mm_leaders-0203.shtml

More online!

MERGINET.News Online!
Click here: http://www.MERGINET.com/newsroom/

MERGINET is a service designed to provide resources, news, education and
fun to the all in EMS, Fire, Rescue and Emergency Medicine. Updated daily.

MERGINET Medical Resources
http://MERGINET.com
mailto:Editor@MERGINET.com