Flightmed archive for March-2002

Re: Aircraft - Inflight intubations - Scene flights

David,
     First the disclaimer, I have only been a flight nurse for one year and
have a grand total of 5 field intubations to my name.  That being said, my
company prefers to intubate in the air.  Obviously if the patient is in
resp. distress or overly combative then the intubation should (and does with
us as well) take place on scene.  But as you know, even pt's with the lowest
of GCS can have a wonderful resp. drive and therefore wait until airborn.
You bring up a good question as to what a lawyer would do with this.  I
certainly have no answers there.  As for your other examples, I would point
out that of all those people on scene or in the ED, how many of them are
qualified to be attempting the intubation or REALLY needed for the
proceedure.  If you are unable to get the tube and your partner is unable to
get the tube then are you going to let the three other paramedics on scene
have a shot at it or is it time to move down the algorithm to a surgical
airway. As for the time, to be truely effective the lidocaine should have
time to circulate and there is preoxygenation going on here as well.  My
company has Bell 222's and BO 105's.  I only have experience in the 105's
and I can honestly say I feel comfortable doing this even in the tight
confines of a 105.  I think back to my hospital days and remeber how much I
hated transporting pt's to CT or where ever because  I was not in my
familiar unit.  I concider the back of the 105 now to be my familiar place.
I know where everything is (and in the 105 everything is at arms reach) and
would rather be doing the airway there then in that ditch.  The only other
thing I can think to offer is that of the importance of rapid transport to
the trauma center.  If the airway can be safely done during transport then
the extra time on scene could be costly.  On interfacility transports the
answer is different. When ever possible do it prior.

J.D. Phipps, RN
Flight Nurse
Calstar