Flightmed archive for February-2002

Re: Air Medical Helicopter Transport Research Paper Assistance Needed

Mark,

     Thank you for the nice words.

     My hat is off to you and others that work on a ground truck.  I did the same for years and years in downtown Atlanta and I don't know how many times a patient appeared to be "low sick" and then turned out to be fine once all evaluations were done.  Oftentimes, the medics were criticized by their coworkers or the receiving facility for coming in with lights and sirens or being worried about a patient that later discharged from the hospital with no major injuries.

      You are right.  The ground crews (and all of us) do the best we can with the information we have at hand.  Sometimes we are fooled, but sometimes the patient will have an internal bleed that was not recognized by the ground crews, but was flown anyway because someone "didn't feel quite right" about how the patient was doing.  That "gut" instinct saves a lot of lives and I would say that many patients who appeared relatively stable to the ground crew, but were flown for mechanism probably would have died during the 100+ mile ground trip to the area's only Level 1 trauma center in North Florida.

     We have similar policies here as it sounds like you do there.  If something occurs that sounds as if it is bad (we have a scanner), we will oftentimes lift off and head that direction.  That way, if they need us, we are even closer and everyone benefits.  If it turns out they don't need us, we turn around and nothing is lost.

     It can be tough at times.  Especially when you have flown several flights in 95 degree weather with 90% humidity, have paperwork backed up, haven't eaten or slept and another call comes in for something that seems like it shouldn't be flown.  Over the years, I have found that those are the calls that humble us and make us that we should never become complacent.  I didn't get into this work to sit around and we usually don't !!!

     Christy

  Mark Reich <emtz@lowcountry.com> wrote:

Ms. Foster,
 First things first, I am not a flight medic. But i do work for a rural system. our closest Trauma One center is 50 + miles from us.
But, your attitude is the reason why most of our patients are still alive today. Our county statistically, is the number one county in the state for fatal MVA's we have more than 30 miles of interstate running thru it, Our response time's range anywhere from a couple of min, to about 15-20. If the flight crews that we used did not have the same attitude that you do, it would be alot worse.
90% of the time if we do a "Trauma Alert" and put the helicopter on standby. Our main provider will launch anyway. They tell us that there is plenty of air space to turn around and go home.  Thank you to you and all flight crews. That bail us out in our time of need.

Thanks Again
Mark

And Omni Flight (Charleston) Thank you    !!!

Do You Yahoo!?

© 2000 -- Website created by Rollie Parrish | Credits | Last modified: 02/06/02