Flightmed archive for January-2002

Re: prehospital chest tubes

We are using both full chest tubes as well as pneumoevacuators...Depending
on your crew configuration and ability to keep the competency up you can do
both or just the pneumoevacuator. In upwards of 90% of the time the
evacuator was all that was needed. The need for full tube thoracostomy is
rare so it is difficult to keep your skills up unless you have access to
cadavers. I don't have data on "success" rates but of the estimated 10 tubes
we did last year there were no complications. We do not use trocars!

Wade N. Sears, M.D.