Flightmed archive for January-2002

RE: Pt. Scenario

As an emergency physician who has practiced at trauma centers, been
medical director of ground and air EMS services, and currently am chief
at a mid-sized community ED, I have a perspective on this matter.

I agree that egos can play a large role. However, lack of education and
understanding of the various hospitals' capabilities on the part of EMS
can have a major impact, as well. Quite often, people from the trauma
center, or a flight crew, or even local EMS, don't really know what any
given local ED or hospital can handle. When those capabilities change,
these changes (for better or worse) are not always taken into account,
either.

For example, five years ago my current hospital had no trained emergency
physicians, no vascular surgeons, one cardiologist, and poor coverage by
ortho and other specialties. Now, we can handle virtually anything short
of open heart surgery and neurosurgery. If the reputation of five years
ago is still in people's heads, they could make a decision that is not
appropriate for today. If one of the doctors directs EMS to do something
that conflicts with the old reputation (but is appropriate for today),
that doctor could be accused of doing something for ego or money, when
that is not true.

JM

John L. Meade, MD, FACEP
Chief Executive Officer
Emerald Healthcare Group, P.A.
Doctor's Resource Group, Inc.
http://www.statdoc.com/

"The real problem is not whether machines think, but whether men do."
-B.F. Skinner, behavioral psychologist