Flightmed archive for December-2001

RE: Central Line Protocols

Mr Cole,

Thank you for your input, however I don't
think the question was "are medics smart
enough to do central lines".  As a flight
paramedic and a former Army medic I have
been trained to place central lines and many
other procedures far more and am quit
comfortable performing them.  However, the
question that was asked was in regard to the
use of central lines, by a helicopter flight
crew based in a large metropolitan area
(Atlanta, GA) and was specificly directed at
scene flights involving trauma pt's.  First
of all you need to take into consideration
that trauma patients need a surgeon more
than they need a central line, so wasting
time on scene is not the best course of
action.  Secondly, you need to factor in
that most helicopters have a very limited
area in which to work and many do not allow
adequate access to the femoral region,
leaving the subclavian site for central line
placement.  Further more with a flight time
that will usually be 30 minutes or less to a
major trauma center, why take a chance on
complicating a situation with an invasive
procedure like a central line when you can
acheive the same results with a good large
bore IV in the AC or EJ, or you can place a
substernal IO with far less complications
and much faster.  It should also be pointed
out that the F.A.S.T. substernal IO device
that was mentioned in the original question
is capable of adequate fluid resuscitation,
with the following average flow rates:
gtt to gravity - 30ml/min or 1800ml/hr
gtt w/ preasure bag - 125ml/min or 7500ml/hr.

As a member of an education department, I am
suprised that you have overlooked these
details as most medics are smart enough to
look at the "big picture"

Wesley Copeland Sr., MICT, NREMT-P, CCEMT-P
Flight Paramedic

> We do central lines in the field, most
medics are smart enough to do them if
> an EJ is not available.
>

> Robert S. "Steve" Cole
> Paramedic, CCEMTP
> Education Department
> Ada County Paramedics
> 208-375-7079
> emcolers@adaweb.net
>
> "...A mind stretched with new ideas never
regains its former shape"

CCEMT-P

regarding their concerns over central
> lines in the field.  Why risk causing the
complications with a central line
> when you can get an EJ?  Given, EJ's can
cause problems too, but
> comparatively they are safer, faster and
easier than a central line.