Re: Where were you when...

During the first 48 hours after the incident we were stationed at JFK
Airport and at Floyd Bennet Field with 4 aircraft (aircraft owned by
Suffolk County Police, staffed by Stony Brook University Hospital).
Since that time we have had 1 aircraft 24 hours per day in the city.
No Medevacs but many police missions, searches, ferrying of equipment
and emergency service personnel.

> To:            flightmed@flightweb.com
> From:          spencerd@voicenet.com
> Subject:       Re: Where were you when...
> Date:          Fri, 14 Sep 2001 22:11:14 US/Eastern

> MedEvac 3, from University MedEvac - Hahnemann University Hospital Philadelphia, was
> staged across from NYC in NJ at Teterboro Airport where they stayed for approx. 7 hours
> with aircraft from numerous other programs. There was a report of multiple red tag
> patients and several of the New Jersey State Police aircraft lifted for Ellis Island but
> the report was false. Our aircraft was released shortly after 7pm that day.
>
> It is our understanding that the request for multiple air medical services was made by the
> Port Authority and were to be staged at Teterboro. The request was made with the initial
> airliner crashes into the Trade Center buildings. After their collapse, the need for the
> transfer of patients from the scene or from NYC hospitals was not as immediate.
>
> In any case, we are all saddened by the terrible loss of life, both civilians and
> Emergency Responders. Many of us know of or have met many of the Fire Department and EMS
> personnel who died. They will be missed terribly.
>

> Duane Spencer B.S., NREMTP
> University MedEvac

Eric Niegelberg                     Tel: 631-444-2496
EMS Director                        Fax: 631-689-7376
Emergency Department Administrator
Stony Brook University Hospital