Re: Sternal IOI device

My whole message apparently didn't get sent. The first time I used the IO, the metal tip bent off of the plastic catheter.  This was on  an obese female who had a severe flail chest and I never really got a good "purchase" to push straight down on her sternum.  The second time I used the device it went right in and we were able to infuse 1 liter IVF and 1 unit RBC's before I began to meet resistance on the blood set pump.  By that time however, the pt's intravascular volume had improved enough that we were able to establish a 16g peripheral IV. Regards