Flightmed archive for June-2001

RE: Finding Out about a New Program

>>Most importantly he did not address the most important POINT!!!

>>As an Air Medical Professional, if you feel so strongly about a programs
>>quality that you would post it publicly for all your colleagues to read;
>>wouldn't your time be better spent reporting it to the regulatory bodies
>>(State, Camts, FAA, NTSB).......

Bryan -

You raise an important point and it is well worth making.  I did not address
it in my comments because the posting at the beginning of this thread was
just about information-gathering as opposed to the related, but distinct,
issue
of cleaning up the industry.

Sometimes events and issues end up on public forums because all of the
regulatory
channels have already been tried and have failed to produce tangible
results.  Earlier
this year there was an extensive discussion about the role of accreditation
(specifically
CAMTS)in regards to program quality and many of the inferences that could be
drawn from
that conversation could be applied to other regulatory or advisory bodies.

I could give a boatload of examples from my own experience where regulatory
processes have been effectively thwarted by legal manuevering and posturing.
I could give many more examples of unintended consequences where a complaint
against a company resulted only in
trouble for a relatively innocent employee of that company.

My thought on the involvement of regulatory authorities is that it is rarely
appropriate  or useful for an individual staff member acting on his/her own
behalf to formally launch a regulatory complaint against a competing
program.  Such complaints should be handled through an
official/administrative process so there is authority, accountability and
the availability of legal resources.

However, at the staff level what you can do is generate fastidiously
thorough and accurate documentation of adverse events that threaten the
safety or well-being of employees or patients (or anyone else for that
matter) and provide that documentation to your administrators.

You can also look around yourself and start first with your own company.
Hypocrisy plays poorly when you're out to change the world (or an
industry)and the single most effective change agent is an employee with a
vision whose own actions are consistent with that vision.

And finally you can try and take a look at the work you do and how you do
it.  If you come to the realization that your love of the job (or the status
or the flying or the independence)has overcome any sense of obligation to
your community or family to operate decently, ethically, efficiently, and
safely, you can either vote with your feet or effectively decide that you
are going to accept an on-going role as a part of the problem.  Bottom-tier
companies can only continue to operate because there are always people
willing to abandon their values and their personal well-being for the chance
to fly.

regards!

paul