Flightmed archive for June-2001

A reply for Kenneth Conn

Dear Ken,

I believe it was Abraham Lincoln who said something to this effect:

"The only thing worse than for people to think you are ignorant, is
to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Glad to hear you're happy in your one month history with "Scare-Evac". My
lifelong friend and brilliant Respiratory Therapist Julie Huttegger, begs to
differ with you regarding Air Evac's safety commitment. Julie was killed in
her very first AND very last flight ever. Sadly, she too chose Air Evac
Lifeteam in Cape Girardeau, Missouri as her very first flight program. Ask
any one of your colleagues about this crash and perhaps talk to the pilot.
Sadly, he was the only survivor. Last I heard he was still too crippled to
pass his medical.

IT IS MY OPINION that the programs like Air Evac, (the ones that sell
"memberships"), put an incredible amount of pressure upon their pilots to
fly at all cost, even in less than ideal weather to preserve a client's
annual dues. Sadly, this pilot's decision to fly this night cost me and
numerous others much grief and the world a truly gifted Respiratory Care
Practitoner.

If you think that I am just a disgruntled person getting vengeance you are
wrong. This is but ONE of Scare-Evac's numerous failures to maintain
altitude. I truly am concerned for your safety as you sound as if you are
new to this business. The one month of Air Evac's success in your eyes can
and will NEVER erase the long standing history the West Plains company has
been plagued with for years.
Yes, this is a fun and very rewarding career. But it IS NOT worth taking
risks to accomplish your mission. PERIOD.

I sincerely pray that you live long enough to realize the truth and I also
pray that you are not a husband nor a father.

Sincerely,

P.R. Adams
Chicago, IL